Pre-wedding Parties

Rehearsal with OOT bridal party members

Our wedding is a Saturday, but at our venue the rehearsal would be held on the Thursday.

FI and I have a few members in our party who will be coming from OOT (as will we, but we plan to be back in our hometown at least a week prior). 

It is my general knowledge of rehearsals that you would want the party to be there to walk through the ceremony and know the day's events. Plus, the rehearsal dinnr afterward as a thank you to all party members. 

We have told those bridal party members that we will find a place for them to stay with one of my family members in town so that they do not have to pay for a hotel room for those extra days. I would like them to be there as we have a mixed bridal party (some from our hometown, some from where we currently live) and it would be nice for everyone to meet prior to the day of as they've never met before and the OOT members won't be at any pre-wedding parties. 

Would you request that all bridal party members be in town (the wedding town) for the rehearsal? Do couples commonly do the rehearsal without bridal party members there? 

Re: Rehearsal with OOT bridal party members

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    The problem I see with this is their work schedules. If I had to be there for a Thursday rehearsal and Saturday wedding, that would mean at a minimum I would be missing Thursday and Friday of work. Depending on how far I was coming from and what I needed to do to prepare for my trip and what time I had to leave Thursday to be there, I might also have to miss Wednesday. 

Personally, I would be uncomfortabel staying in a stranger's home. Sometimes I"m uncomfortable staying in the homes of people I know as well. I just prefer the privacy of a hotel in some cases. 

Do your bridal party members really need to "get to know each other"? 

It's not mandatory that they be there. Yes, it's nice to have a run-through, but unless your ceremony is complicated or you have some logistical problems (as we did), they won't be missing much not to rehearse. I would say certainly invite them to be there but make it clear it's not imperative and don't make them feel bad about it if they can't be. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_rehearsal-with-oot-bridal-party-members?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:d1320895-26c7-4ac7-bde8-50fc2b434422Post:8e5c8d60-2ea4-40cb-9606-d348a66b7996">Re: Rehearsal with OOT bridal party members</a>:
    [QUOTE]The problem I see with this is their work schedules. If I had to be there for a Thursday rehearsal and Saturday wedding, that would mean at a minimum I would be missing Thursday and Friday of work. Depending on how far I was coming from and what I needed to do to prepare for my trip and what time I had to leave Thursday to be there, I might also have to miss Wednesday.  Personally, I would be uncomfortabel staying in a stranger's home. Sometimes I"m uncomfortable staying in the homes of people I know as well. I just prefer the privacy of a hotel in some cases.  Do your bridal party members really need to "get to know each other"?  It's not mandatory that they be there. Yes, it's nice to have a run-through, but unless your ceremony is complicated or you have some logistical problems (as we did), they won't be missing much not to rehearse.<strong> I would say certainly invite them to be there but make it clear it's not imperative and don't make them feel bad about it if they can't be. </strong>
    Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

<div>We have a Thursday rehearsal and this is what we are doing.  I do want the rehearsal for my own benefit (plus it is included in all of our fees already), and anyone in the BP who wants to either come into town a day early or join us for dinner after work is invited, but I am going to make it very clear that it is not expected of them.  Vacation days are precious!</div>
  • In Response to Re:Rehearsal with OOT bridal party members:[QUOTE]The problem I see with this is their work schedules. If I had to be there for a Thursday rehearsal and Saturday wedding, that would mean at a minimum I would be missing Thursday and Friday of work. Depending on how far I was coming from and what I needed to do to prepare for my trip and what time I had to leave Thursday to be there, I might also have to miss Wednesday.nbsp;Personally, I would be uncomfortabel staying in a stranger's home. Sometimes I"m uncomfortable staying in the homes of people I know as well. I just prefer the privacy of a hotel in some cases.nbsp;Do your bridal party members really need to "get to know each other"?nbsp;It's not mandatory that they be there. Yes, it's nice to have a runthrough, but unless your ceremony is complicated or you have some logistical problems as we did, they won't be missing much not to rehearse. I would say certainly invite them to be there but make it clear it's not imperative and don't make them feel bad about it if they can't be.nbsp; Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

Literally all of this. Having them come in on Thursday for a Saturday wedding is ridiculous and would probably require them to even take off Wednesday. I wouldn't be comfortable staying at a stranger's either and would be stuck paying for another night at the hotel. And then what are people supposed to do on Friday especially if they're from out of town? Or do you expect them to drive/fly in Wed night, go home, and come back Saturday?
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Uh no, I would absolutely not expect them to go home in between- THAT would be ridiculous. I'm asking an honest question since they are in the party and the rehearsal dinner is to thank the guests of the party. 

They would be staying at my parents house (as will I, so they'll be in the same place as me), if they like. 

On the Friday, the ladies in my party would be spending the day with me (groomsman can hang out with my FI) (or if they so wanted, each other and they can doing some local "sight seeing"). 

Thanks Addie and others- you make some good points. The wedding party would have to be in town on the Friday at least (afternoon/evening)- could possibly do the rehearsal dinner that evening as a get to know each other then.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards