New Jersey

Whose name comes first...

...on everything wedding related?

I feel like this is a really dumb question, but I'm confused because I've seen the bride's name first in some places and the groom's name first in other places.

I always thought it was customary for the bride's name to be first.
image 182 Invited
image 0 Are ready to party!
image 0 Will be missing the fun
image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Whose name comes first...

• edited December 2011
    I put my name first then my FI's.  It's my wedding darn it! :)  Especially if you do the traditional wording for the invites where it says that the parents of the bride give her away, etc.  I've always seen the bride listed first.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I did everything with my name first.
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, that's what I thought.  But I've seen some things the other way around and a friend of mine who's from the south told me that she was appalled when she saw an invitation with the bride's name first because the man's name shoud always come first anytime the couple is referred to in life (her words, not mine).
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I put FIs name first, I kinda feel like it's his last name I will be taking. 
    I think it doesn't matter though.
  • edited December 2011
    bride is always 1st
  • dmoney79dmoney79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my name was first on most things......but it think it just flows nicer when said in that order, and its in alphabetical order that way?
    i really thought we had something in the wedding where his name was first, but, i couldn't find it
    i know when my sister ordered our return address stamp, his name was on top, because otherwise, it looked unbalanced (his name has 3 letters and mine 8)

when we were announced at the reception though, his name was said first (mr and mrs lou and danielle g)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I think the bride's name always goes first. The man's first and last name shouldn't be separated.  
    image Tuffy
    RIP Little Man October 15, 1995 - June 1, 2010
  • edited December 2011
    Bride first. I put FI name on the STD first and nearly got ripped a new one by everyone haha- so my name is first on everything else!
    *~allie~*

• melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bride goes first. I've heard the bride's name should be first for the first year of marriage also (but I'm not sure whether that's true).
  • edited December 2011
    So weird ...our things are mostly labeled "Victor and Emily" and maybe I'm a southerner at heart, but I feel like I want to put him first in life?  Something to that effect lol
  • felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is my understanding that during the engagement, the bride's name always goes first.  Because once your married you never see your name again....haha jk but you know what I mean.  Mr. & Mrs. Not My Name Smith
  • edited December 2011
    Brides name first but I think I did my fans Mike & Kathy....but that was informal since it's just a fan, everything else has Kathy & Michael...
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bride's name is always first in wedding stuff.  Your friend from the south is wrong.

This is particularly true in invitations -- even if the "bride's name should come first" convention didn't exist, it would traditionally be the case on the invitations anyway.  Traditional invitations have the bride's parents requesting the honour of your presence at the marriage of their daughter [name] to [the boy's name].  It does not "request the honour of your presence at the wedding of our daughter (whose name we'll mention in a minute) to [boy's name] ... and by the way our daughter is named [blank]."  Not everyone uses this wording of course, but that's the traditional wording.

Of course, you can choose to follow the rule or not and it isn't a big deal.  But this is the one time that you get to have your name first -- might as well enjoy it while you can!
  • jtheissjtheiss member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bride's name comes first on all invites and such. But in the ceremony, I believe the groom says his vows first and when you fill out your license they ask for the groom's info first (I had filled out an application at home to try to expedite things at the registrar and she had to fill out a whole new form because the groom comes first!) and when you're announced typically the groom's name is first.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you SOOOOOOOO much ladies!!
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having trouble remembering the vows exactly but I know for the rings he said his part and put my ring on first then I did his....I think....omg I must have been in SUCH a daze since it was two weeks ago!!!

However on all things paper my name came first!
  • smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is your friend religious? I noticed in all of our paperwork with the church everything was groom-centric. Even the form to register to be a part of the church only asked for the man's name. Her opinion of the man's name coming first may be related to the views of the church.

Just a guess- I could be totally off-base!
    Anniversary Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards