August 2013 Weddings

My bridesmaid wants to wear an ugly dress...

I have 5 bridesmaids and I told them that they could choose any dress that they wanted in a peach to coral color. I asked that the dress be knee length or slighly above, and made of a summery fabric like cotton or chiffon (i.e. not satin). Four of the bridesmaids have picked dresses which you can see here on my pinterest:

I love the dresses that the first four girls bought, but the last bridesmaid emailed me this week with this dress that she wants to buy. 

I don't mean to be rude, but I really don't like this dress. If it were you, would you say something or just let her get the dress that she likes? I don't think that this dress flatters the model and I really don't think it will flatter my bridesmaid who is a little curvier around the hips. Am I being crazy for caring about this minor detail? 

Here's another shot of the dress. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: My bridesmaid wants to wear an ugly dress...

• no you're not crazy. you just want all your girls to look their best since after all,,, they are all representing you. I like the top of the dress but the bottom... no. maybe just nicely suggest to her picking a different dress that will flatter her better. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you are within your rights to say something since you are being so flexible about dresses to start, but I would not phrase it in terms of it being unflattering. That could really be taken the wrong way. I'd give some reason related to the color or style not being quite what you envisioned for the wedding. You might have an easy excuse since, to me at least, that dress is a much brighter shade than the other girls'. Or, if she loves it, you could let her wear it and remember that everyone will be noticing your dress, not hers. Good luck!
  • TandksmommyTandksmommy member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2012
    I had the SAME problem. I let the girls pick any dress they wanted as long as it was the color I wanted. One of them picked a hi-lo. She's 45 years old and wanted to wear a dress that was shorter than I think people should ever be seen in (in the front). EEK!

I didn't say anything to her because I didn't want to hurt her feelings, but I did make some specific requirements after that. It had to be a certain fabric so they all looked somewhat matchy. I also said it had to have a certain aspect in it to tie them all together (in our case, a sash), which elimated the ugly dress.

Has she tried on this dress yet? Maybe once she tries it on, she won't like it. If you are present, maybe you could suggest something else that would flow better with the look you are going for.
  • Actually I think the dress is super cute but not for every body type and the colors offered do not match with the others that is for sure.   However, you did give her the freedom to chose the dress she wanted.  If it were me and if the dress came in the right shade I would let her wear it.  In this case I think it is easy for you to say the colors offered don't match your wedding and thus, she needs to find something else.  Has she seen the other girls dresses yet?  That way she can see the styles they chose then go and pick something more in line and in the same color shade.   

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• Thanks for all of your advice everyone! I certainly don't want to offend my bridesmaid, she is one of my closest friends, after all. I haven't said anything about the dress yet, which probably sends a message in itself, but I think I will just tell her that the color isn't quite right. She has seen the other girls dresses so this will hopefully steer her back towards their styles. Thank you again for all of your help!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards