Wisconsin

Need a church in greater Milwaukee area! Help please!

Hey girls!

My fiance & I are planning a wedding tenatively for 6/2/2012.  We have plenty of time to plan, but I want to get the big stuff out of the way as soon as I can such as the church and reception site...

We are looking for a older style church with 1 SINGLE AISLE.....either Catholic or Lutheran...we live in Hales Corners (Milwaukee county).

We've been "church shopping" for months now and I can't do it much longer!  There's always something we don't like about them or rules/regulations that get in the way of us choosing that church.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Re: Need a church in greater Milwaukee area! Help please!

• edited December 2011
    Old St. Mary's sounds like it could work for what you're looking for...

http://www.oldsaintmary.org/.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most churches require you to be members before you marry there, as I'm sure you've found out. Isn't there a church in either of your families that would be special for you to be married at? Don't either of you belong to one already since you're making the decision to marry in a Catholic or Lutheran church? I guess I don't understand the need to church shop based on appearance, just for your wedding. We were married at a church that is nothing special to look at but has sentimental and spiritual meaning to us.
  • edited December 2011
    I get the whole "church shopping" thing. I looked at about 7 before my priest booked Old St. Mary's for me.  I was a little taken aback, but it's gorgeous and it's going to work perfectly with our venue--they're only two blocks apart.  For me, it was the Priest that mattered most, and we have an awesome, humble, very loving man.  I love Father Don! :) 

Old St. Mary's is the oldest Catholic church in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee.  It's on the National register of historic places.  It's beautiful, but small. It has blue carpet down the single aisle, but the sanctuary is a golden gem.  Very ornate and pretty.

St. Casimir was a runner up.  It's in the Riverwest neighborhood.  Very grand, gothic looking.  It has red carpet on the altar, which I didn't really like.  But the stained glass is gorgeous. 

St. Sebastian is beautiful, and I actually booked there, but my FI said it was too big for our wedding size, and he was right.  We would've had a lot of empty pews.

St. Josphat Basilica is the ULTIMATE church.  It's like you're in Rome, although I've never been to Rome:(  It books fast because it's so popular.  To me, it's more beautiful than St. John's Cathedral downtown.  This was my first choice, but I couldn't get married there during Advent.

St. Roberts is pretty, very long aisle.  It's on the East side of Milwaukee off of Capitol. 

Finally, St. Hedwig is a popular church too.  It just underwent a big renovation and is very nice.  Stained glass is pink and yellow.  One main aisle.  It's off Brady street so parking is a bit of an issue.

I hope this helps! 

p.s. I'm Catholic, if you couldn't tell:)

142 Ready To Celebrate! image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_need-church-greater-milwaukee-area-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:118Discussion:3c12ee41-c3b8-49b0-8eee-6b24af101b05Post:0677e651-e3d2-4957-8a89-926b031cc9e1">Re: Need a church in greater Milwaukee area! Help please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I get the whole "church shopping" thing. I looked at about 7 before my priest booked Old St. Mary's for me.  I was a little taken aback, but it's gorgeous and it's going to work perfectly with our venue--they're only two blocks apart.  For me, it was the Priest that mattered most, and we have an awesome, humble, very loving man.  I love Father Don! :)  Old St. Mary's is the oldest Catholic church in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee.  It's on the National register of historic places.  It's beautiful, but small. It has blue carpet down the single aisle, but the sanctuary is a golden gem.  Very ornate and pretty. St. Casimir was a runner up.  It's in the Riverwest neighborhood.  Very grand, gothic looking.  It has red carpet on the altar, which I didn't really like.  But the stained glass is gorgeous.  St. Sebastian is beautiful, and I actually booked there, but my FI said it was too big for our wedding size, and he was right.  We would've had a lot of empty pews. St. Josphat Basilica is the ULTIMATE church.  It's like you're in Rome, although I've never been to Rome:(  It books fast because it's so popular.  To me, it's more beautiful than St. John's Cathedral downtown.  This was my first choice, but I couldn't get married there during Advent. St. Roberts is pretty, very long aisle.  It's on the East side of Milwaukee off of Capitol.  Finally, St. Hedwig is a popular church too.  It just underwent a big renovation and is very nice.  Stained glass is pink and yellow.  One main aisle.  It's off Brady street so parking is a bit of an issue. I hope this helps!  p.s. I'm Catholic, if you couldn't tell:)
    Posted by portialoveschris[/QUOTE]

I am going to join the table of the posters who don't get the "Church Shopping"  You should be a member and attend regularly - not choose one that fits your aestetics or have the set of rules that you are willing to play by, but all that aside, these are good suggestions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I am a pracitcing member of St Matthias in West Allis, WI....I'm a catholic.  My fiance is lutheran and is originally from up north so he does not belong to a church currently because he is living down here now.  He has been to my church and just does not like the size and "modern" look of the church, so THAT is why we are looking for a new church to become members of.  I say Catholic or Lutheran because those are our 2 religions, so we would be okay getting married in either congregation..... 

Thanks for the ideas for those of you who gave them!!! I really appreciate it!!  :)

• edited December 2011
    You're welcome Brittany! :)

What I don't get on this thread is the women who want to be the judge, jury and executioner.  People have different situations, and some (like myself and you it seems) don't have the luxury of getting married in the church they grew up with.  That would mean my wedding would be in Michigan, and we decided not to get married there because Wisconsin is now our home.

Again, those churches I mentioned are all beautiful for different reasons.  The priests at the "Three Holy Women" parish (Old St. Mary's, St. Hedwig's and St. Rita's) are very accommodating and are savvy about interfaith weddings.  My FI is Greek Orthodox, and it wasn't a problem.  

Good luck! :)

142 Ready To Celebrate! image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am just going to respond real quick to this, because maybe it needs to be explained (I am not intending snark with this, just maybe to show my point of view)

[QUOTE]What I don't get on this thread is the women who want to be the judge, jury and executioner.[/QUOTE]

The OP used the words "church shopping" and didn't explain her situation beyond that.  I immediately take offence to that as it seemes that the aestetic look is more important than the congregation, priest, and church family.  Her follow up explained that this IS her FI's point of view and she is willing to go along with it.  Again this is offensive to many as it seems that the "look of the church" is the most important part of choosing to have a religious ceremony rather than what the ceremony means between her, her FI, and God.

[QUOTE]People have different situations, and some (like myself and you it seems) don't have the luxury of getting married in the church they grew up with.  That would mean my wedding would be in Michigan, and we decided not to get married there because Wisconsin is now our home.[/QUOTE]

This I get and agree with.  I grew up in Green Bay and went to church there.  I attended college in Milwaukee and immediately attended mass at a Catholic church near campus.  I eventually became a member and ultimately DH and I were married there.  We didn't "church shop" we chose one that I attended regularly and had become a member of.

Now if OP had said that FI wasn't comfortable with a more modernized mass (rather than the modern look to the church) I could understand this.  There has to be the right connection on that level.  Maybe if the OP said that she and FI wanted to attend mass at a few churches to see if the feel of the service fits them and once they found it they would plan to attend regularly, that would also be a different story.  BUT OP has not expressed any of this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Another really nice Classic style Catholic Church is St.Paul Catholic in Milwaukee. It boarders on Milwaukee/ St. Francis area. I will be getting married there in 2 weeks :) and I think it is just an adorable church. They do require all the normal cathlic church requirements. When you ask to get married there they will just make you a member at that time, plus since you aren't getting married until 2012 you have plenty of time to become a member of any church. :)

Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards