Flowers

Real vs Silk

I am really on a tight budget for my wedding and for something like flowers I can not afford to splurge. Real flowers are expensive and I would like a more customizable bouquet. Can you tell if the flowers are silk? What are the pros and cons of silk flowers? 

Re: Real vs Silk

• i think its much more acceptable now to do paper, silk or any other alternative flowers either then real.
  • Are you planning on DIY? The pros of silks would be that you can assemble them way ahead of time and that you don't have to worry about them wilting. Some people can't fathom spending a lot of money on something that will be thrown away. You can also keep them if you want. You don't have to worry about allergies. 

The cons is that they are fake. Even the good real touch ones...I can still tell the difference- maybe the petals might look somewhat real, but then the stem or leaves will be off. Some people don't mind so it's up to you and what's important to you. 

If your concern is purely the price, the silk ones are not necessarily cheaper. Well cheaper than florist, but not if you DIY. The good silks are not cheap, even with super sales and coupons. If you buy real flowers from a wholesaler and DIY..it would probably be close to the same. Some of the silk bouquets I've seen on Etsy are pretty comparable to the price of real bouquets from a florist.

I'm a real flower person so I am also biased. I know they're expensive and they die, but I just love flowers...real flowers. Just do your research on prices and decide what's best for you. 

We got married 11/3/12!!

• I think it all depends on the flower. I've seen some beautiful silk flowers and then others that you can tell their silk from 500 feet away because they look so bad. I think it depends on the quality of the product you use. The better looking silk flowers are going to run you more. Probably your best bet is to go early to a craft store and pick out flowers you like and kind of put them together in the store. If they have a floral department someone may be able to help you get the look you are going for. Then add up the price of everything. Then go to a florist shop & have them price something out for you & compare the prices.

Good luck!!
  • I am in the same situation.  I am getting married in the summer and have bad allergies. 

I am strongly thinking of getting silk so I can also hold on to them afterwards.  I am tempted to order my fiance boutonniere from a place I found online that does silk to get an idea of how they will look if I order my bouquet form them too.

I wish you the best.  I keep scrolling down what other brides have done and how they felt either way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards