Outdoor Weddings

Color scheme suggestions for a fall wedding??

Hi guys,

I am recently engaged and although our wedding is far off, we are trying to come up with some ideas of what we want. We have already decided that we would idea want our wedding held in a big wooden barn with a sort of rustic feel with the ceremony outside of the barn. Originally, I wanted a spring wedding with a light pastel green color scheme (which would work really well since both of our favorite colors are green!). And also my favorite flowers are lilies, so late spring/early summer was always my first choice. But my fiance is really wanting a fall wedding, so I have agreed since I have been coming across some really cute fall wedding ideas on Pinterest haha. But I feel like my light pastel green color scheme will just look silly if we are surrounded by red, orange, yellow, and brown. I'm trying to come up with a new color scheme for the fall wedding but I really have no idea what I want. I feel like almost every color says "spring" to me, and the ones that are fall colors (red, orange, yellow) don't really seem like my type of wedding color. I'm thinking about maybe doing some sort of neutral color scheme - maybe champange with peachy colors? That has been the only thing I can come up with. Does anyone else have any ideas? Thanks!

Re: Color scheme suggestions for a fall wedding??

• There is no law stating you MUST pick appropriate seasonal colors for your wedding. Just go with what you and your FI want. This was one of the things that FI and I argued about when we first got engaged. We finally compromised on each picking a color. He chose ice blue, I chose aubergine. We're getting married in November with "winter" colors but we could care less.

I think you should keep the green. If you are really set on making it seasonal you could do a hunter or forest green with a peach or pastel pink. The green could really come out in the flowers and greenery, you could use berries in the bouquets with the BMs wearing peach or pink. The possibilities are endless, good luck!
  • Instead of a light pastel green, can you go with a sage-y color? The brown undertones will read more fall than spring. Try sage with champagne, orange-y-peach, some aubergine/eggplant or cranberry accents with woody-browns and chocolates?
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of your responses and I will try to add my own input to each of the good points that you brought up. 

I actually hadn't thought of doing green with the peach; I can't decide if I like it though. I feel like green will be there no matter what with the flowers and plants, however I don't think I would like both green and peach decorations together. I think I would like to pick one or the other. But this is just a first thought, I could always change my mind!

But I definitely do not want to go with a darker color green. I have seen a couple weddings with hunter and forest green and I personally do not like the color very much. However I might like the sage green idea with adding just a hint of brown to the spring green... I will have to think on that a little more. I think I would like that better with another color more than the lighter green.

AND PURPLE! I hadn't thought of purple but it would be a good fall color! And purple was the color of my prom dress and my fiance's vest when we went to senior prom together, awww :) haha. That might be a serious contender now.

See, I reallyyy like the peach and champagne idea; I think they are so pretty together and an old wooden barn would look so pretty decorated with the two colors, but they are just so girly. My fiance said he liked the idea when I mentioned it, but I don't want him to have to wear either of those colors or make any of the groomsmen where them. We are definitely going to be planning our wedding together so I want our colors to reflect that too, aka not super girly lol.

I think purple is a pretty color but I just never thought of it as MY wedding color. But that's probably because I was so used to thinking of the green until we decided on fall. So I will definitely have to think more about that and see if I can find a shade of purple that I like. Or maybe even the sage green with the purple. Now you guys have really got me thinking! I don't think I want any browns or reds though since there will be a lot of that outside. But I do like the idea of the sage green with the color.

Thanks so much for the responses!
  • edited December 2012
    We did gold and silver as our colors.  It made for very classy photos, and went with our fall surroundings. 

Not only that, but they're neutral enough that I could combine them with other colors.  That was important to me since we were doing a wine ceremony, and I wanted to carry the symbolism into the bouquets, making them red and white.  And also in our pink champagne.

You can see the colors all interacting together in the toast (the tablecloth is a bit off in the photo, it was much more gold in RL):

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Our wedding will be late Sept 2014.  I chose the colors red and orange because they are fall colors and originally wanted to spruce the combo up with teal blue.  My FI said no teal blue, he didn't like the color with the other two.  So we compromised on Slate Gray. 

The only man a girl can truly depend on is her daddy.
  • Option 1:
    Some people will say this is a "no no"  but if the bridesmaids have the right skin tone you could put them in brown.  Brown is not the color is used to be, it no longer says "mud"!  Try putting your girls in a brown dress and sash it with aa green closer to your "dream color".  You could then do you invitations and/or menus in the green color and put a brown ribbon on it.  also you could do things the other way around by doing green dresses and sashing with brown.  the only problem is the tuxs.  If you want black tuxs brown might not be your best option.

Option 2:
    Burgundy is a fall color that is also very elegant.  you can mix it with a wonderful cream color to lighten it up or with black to keep that formal look.

Option 3:
    You could go a little crazy and do something more like a "spice" color.  This would be more like an orangey pumpkin color.  If you choose to go this way more power to you.  It would be beautiful but you might have a hard time matching it if you do ribbons or other decorating.  You will want to do an accent color that is easy to match or use it as your accent color.  

Option 4:
    Don't stick with fall colors.  Do what you want to do and don't worry about it looking a little odd next to the fall colors.  When people look at your wedding photos they will be looking at you and as long as you are happy with the results thats all that matters. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards