Oregon
Options

Last Minute and Broke!

Hi! 
Were getting married in just 23 days (May 7th) and we are just running on fumes until the wedding. I am trying not to stress out but I need some DIY ideas. We are having lillies for the wedding (taken care of), his family is going to be cooking mexican food with chips and salsa as the appetizers (our families are hispanic), my dress is good to go, I bought the brides maids dresses, the tux's are good, the cake is perfect.....but we've pretty much run out of $ for decorations and we can't think of any isle/reception songs that aren't too cliche' any ideas?

We cut down some manzanita trees and were going to wrap them in white lights for the reception since it will be all candle lit....

Re: Last Minute and Broke!

• Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You bought your BMs dresses?  That was very generous, but you do know that traditionally they pay their own right?  I don't know if there is anyway you could possibly ask them for the money now since you've already said you'd pay for it though.

I think knowing where you're getting married, what kind of ceremony/reception it is, and what kinds of things you like will help a lot.  Candles are a great decoration, as are paper lanterns, puff balls, etc.  What about those luminaries you make with some paper bags, sand, and tea lights?

With a little more info on the type of songs you're looking for, I might be able to help with that, too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DON'T ask them for the money to pay for their bridesmaids dresses - if they offer you can say yes, but since you paid for them, and probably told them at the time it was a gift or something - it would be super rude to ask them for the money now.  

the decorations aren't as important as the atmosphere - as long as you guys have a good time hanging out with your family and friends, no one is going to notice the decor - if you want something easy, do candles, with the lights low and all the candles lit, nobody would see any other decor and it would make it pretty & romantic.

i also think that your family and friends aren't going to think any music you pick is "cliche" - you only think that because you have been immersed in wedding world and heard the same songs over and over again - they won't know that 100,000 other brides might pick the same song this year.  just relax and sit down with your fiance every night and pick 8 or 10 songs you guys like, pretty soon your playlist will be filled.
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I shouldn't have said, "I don't know if..."  What I was getting at is if you've already offered it, you can't ask.
  • Options
    eospassioneospassion member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As far as decorations go, lighting is a great, cheap way to get a mood.

You could take framed pictures of close family, or you both together during the dating/engagement years.

Dollar tree is a great place for little vases to put rocks in... For our bar area we are taking vases and putting live fish in them for added excitement. Cheap but cool, and somebody gets to take home something fun! "Found my fish in this big sea"

Do you have a theme you want to go for? I bet the Lillies will be beatiful.

This website may get you going more.... There's a whole section on DIY there.  http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/inspiration
    ~All the love you put out will return to you~
  • Options
    grizzgurlgrizzgurl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you know if you go to the dollar tree website they actually have lots of ideas.  At this point Just relax and have fun, only you will know that your your original vision was. 
    KBLuv
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ask neighbors and guests to bring flowers for centerpieces or go to some public place that has blooming trees (Japanese maple are always pretty) and cut some branches....you can use the branches in vases as centerpieces, or scatter the petals on the tables, or tie the branches together into budles and hang them from chairs....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards