Ohio-Toledo
Options

QOTD 5/19

Let's hear about your veils or veil ideas if you're not to that step yet.
imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: QOTD 5/19

• Options
    cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a veil that was just slightly longer than the train of my dress.  1 layer, no edging detail, and some swarovski crystals scattered all over it.  I bought it from someone that made them and had an ebay store for about $20.  There was no way I was paying bridal store prices for some tulle.

I wore it for the pictures and ceremony.  I went the no veil route for the reception.
  • Options
    rak123rak123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Hello!  Thanks for getting this board moving!

I am newly engaged, and don't have anything planned yet for my wedding.  As far as veils go, I want to go as cheap as possible or just not have one at all.  A veil is something that really isn't too important to me.  Who knows, that may change later.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-toldeo_qotd-519?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:237Discussion:83acafb5-199a-410a-ab33-b19e76e02917Post:07e8fe43-16d8-42c4-ac77-a4257e3d9155">Re: QOTD 5/19</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello!  Thanks for getting this board moving! I am newly engaged, and don't have anything planned yet for my wedding.  As far as veils go, I want to go as cheap as possible or just not have one at all.  A veil is something that really isn't too important to me.  Who knows, that may change later.
    Posted by rak123[/QUOTE]

Looking back, my veil was a hassle part of the day.  However, I do think it completed the "bride" look and I'm glad I had one.

When you get to the point of shopping for a dress, have the consultant grab a few veils of various lengths so you will know how you feel about them.  I never planned to have a long veil (I was so pro-elbow length!) until about 2 months before.  I tried one on and I was hooked.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think I will do a veil.  I just don't have an interest in the hassle, and am going for more the simple look.  In saying that, I am going dress shopping this weekend, so who knows.  I may put one on and fall in love.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that. --Michael Leunig-- Planning Bio
  • Options
    rak123rak123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Great, thanks for the advice.  I guess I won't know how I feel about them until I try one on! 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    aholtsbaholtsb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually am not really into the veil idea either.  If I do have one I am thinking a bird  cage veil, but again I honestly don't think I will have one.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a chapel length veil (ends about halfway down the train), and I LOVE it.  It's so simple and elegant.  I'm taking it off right after the ceremony.

I encourage everyone to at least try some veils on, even if you don't think you want one.  Different length veils all look so different--you might end up liking something really different than you had expected.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm leaning towards no veil, but I haven't tried on many yet, so my mind may change once I try some on!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not entirely sure I want one. It seems like it might be a good place to cut a few dollars in the budget, but we'll see if that changes once I get a dress and see how things look together.
    Planning & Married Bios

Anniversary

PAL/PGAL Welcome

My TTC Chart
    BFP #1 12/13/08 - mc 12/26/08
    BFP #2 12/2/09 - emergency surgery for ectopic 12/5/09

Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    MerinMerin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got a very simple 2-layer, just-below-elbow length veil.   Just tulle, nothing fancy.  I used the top layer as a blusher for the walk down the aisle, and otherwise it was flipped back.  It really wasn't a hassle for me at that length, and I'm really glad I had it.  After our first dance, I took it off though.
    Oh, and I bought it from my seamstress (the awesome Pam Thomas) so it was really cheap!!! :):)
    Causes that are important to me: Planned Pethood Graham's Foundation NOCC
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Exactly like Merlin's!
  • Options
    nyreknyrek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't want one originally.  The lady at the dress store made me put it on.  Her exact quote was "When else do you get to wear a veil in your life?"  So I tried it on...and fell in love with it!  The one I loved was a single tier, very simple, cathedral length...very elegant!

But my dress has so much detail...I found it to be too much, so I'm going with a 2-tier elbow length veil.  Probably won't wear too long at the reception, but who knows.

I agree with PP about at least trying some on to see...you may be surprised.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards