Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Buttercream and live flowers: a recipe for disaster?

I have decided to have my florist decorate my cake.  Is it advisable to use buttercream frosting?  I'm just imagining that any little bumps or streaks incurred during the decorating will be hard to repair.

murrayed

Re: Buttercream and live flowers: a recipe for disaster?

• edited December 2011
    Nah, not hard to repair at all. She'll probably just stick a flower on any imperfections!
  • edited December 2011
    I had buttercream and live flowers, but had my baker do it. Would that be an option for you?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm doing this and we are actually having the baker and florist there at the same time so they can decorate it together.  Both said it would only take about 10 minutes to place the flowers so it's no big deal for them to work together on doing it the day of.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_buttercream-live-flowers-recipe-disaster?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:ae51c148-7310-446e-b92f-340b05612e44Post:8daa8a48-88c4-43ff-8615-fed4bd4ed086">Re: Buttercream and live flowers: a recipe for disaster?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had buttercream and live flowers, but had my baker do it. Would that be an option for you?
    Posted by kaesha[/QUOTE]

I hadn't thought about that.  Did your florist supply the flowers to the baker?
    murrayed
  • sarabellamsarabellam member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Just make sure the florist orders organic, edible flowers if it is going to come into contact with the cake at all.
  • edited December 2011
    Yep, my florist sent the flowers over and when the baker delivered the cake, she put the flowers in! It worked out perfectly.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My baker said as long as the flowers are there when she delivers, she'll place the flowers herself.

Ditto on the edible flowers.  Organic is not necessary, but make sure the flowers are really well-washed if they're not.
  • sarabellamsarabellam member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Some pesticides and fungicides are designed NOT to be washed off by water. Do you want to risk that?
  • mt4sbwymt4sbwy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't put live flowers on a cake.  Repair should be easy enough - a hot knife will do wonderful things to buttercream - but you don't know what pesticides (even organic ones) are on the flowers and some flowers are poisonous.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Relax folks....good florists and bakers know all about the risks of pesticides and poisonous flowers and know which flowers are best to use and which ones are not.  A good baker should know exactly how to handle fresh flowers on a cake to eliminate any type of contamination risk....and if you get a baker/florist that isn't exactly "in the know" don't worry: the risk of anyone getting sick from the miniscule portion of a flower stuck in some frosting is mighty slim.
  • mahnkencmahnkenc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I too had buttercream and live flowers - my suggestion though would be to get organic flowers to use on your cake - that way there are no unfriendly or unwanted chemicals that your guests are eating!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards