Interfaith Weddings

Hindu garland exchange at reception?

I am Catholic, my FI is agnostic but the Indian half of his family is Hindu.  We have decided on a Catholic ceremony in a church to honor my faith.  He said his grandma would like to have the garland exchange incorporated into our wedding.  Would it be acceptable to have it at the beginning of the reception instead of during the ceremony?  I don't want to offend the Hindu side of his family but my FI isn't a practicing Hindu and therefore doesn't know much on the traditions.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hindu garland exchange at reception?

• medeawolffmedeawolff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you know what area his Indian family is originally from? Different regions do things differently, so the garland ceremony could take place at different times depending. 
  • quittydancequittydance member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How do you feel about incorporating the garland exchange during the ceremony?  Like when you exchange your rings and vows, maybe add the garland exchange then?  I am also Catholic and my FI is Hindu but what we're going to do our ceremony a la carte, picking customs and traditions from both religion we like and doing all of them in one ceremony.
  • edited December 2011
    medeawolff- His family is originally from Delhi.

quittydance- That sounds interesting- are you getting married in a Catholic church?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • quittydancequittydance member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ annefrosty2

No, we're doing a backyard wedding that's why there's no pressure in doing the ceremony a certain way.  I think if you're in a Catholic Church, it will be more limiting but maybe ask your priest how much you can incorporate from the Hindu religion.  There are similar customs such as the tying of the cord, covering the couple with a veil, and exchanging rings (and/or garlands).
  • medeawolffmedeawolff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In the traditional, Sanskrit-based ceremony, the garlands are exchanged right after the bride and groom meet on the wedding day as a predecessor to the other ceremony events. 

You could exchange garlands after you've walked down the aisle and meet up at the front of the church, or if you want you could exchange them the same time as the rings. I would try to come up with two or three solutions that work for you and your FI, then ask his grandma which she prefers. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards