• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
October 2010 Weddings

S/O Guestbook Attendant... who IS doing these things for you?

I responded to the other post and mentioned a "House Party" and how I have always seen that used.  I have been in the house party for weddings numerous times, and had to stand by the guestbook, greet people, pass out programs and/or maps to reception, transport gifts and/or flowers from reception to ceremony, serve cake, pack up gifts at the end of the night, clean up afterwards, pack up decorations, etc etc etc.

I won't lie... I NEVER enjoy doing these things.  I would so much rather just be a guest to the wedding and get to enjoy myself.  But, I also know that these things DO have to be done, so I have never been bitter that I have been asked, and I always say yes.

But now that I am having to think about the logistics of my own wedding, I know I will need someone to help out at the beginning of the photobooth guestbook/scrapbook deal; and I know I will need help decorating the place, and then taking decorations down, packing up gifts and getting stuff back to my apartment, etc. 

Who is supposed to do that?  FI's family may not even be invited at this point, and my family is driving 12 hours to be here, so I certainly don't want to put them to work... So yeah... whose job IS it?!
Expecting our first... Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: S/O Guestbook Attendant... who IS doing these things for you?

• So i'm having my cousin that was too young to be a BM and too old to be  FG do the programs/guestbook.  

My BM are gonna take the decorations and my parents the presents (since we are opening them at their house the next day).  
  • My aunt and uncle are going to take a majority of the stuff home with them since they are not staying at the hotel like my parents. 

Two of my girlfriends are going to hand our programs at the church (they offered so they can get there early and reserve good seats!) and I'm just having a sign by our guest book (having a big photo frame to sign). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Keith's SIL was originally the one going to do it, and my friend JenniferW was going to be an usherette for me.

Well, JenniferW is now pregnant, and not having a great time of it, so she is going to be the "Greeter" so she can sit down and FSIL is going to be the usherette for me instead. 

So, Greeter will have to sit and take photos for my photo book and will direct people to the program basket, and that's it. 
  • Our ushers are handing out the programs as they seat people.  Everything else is hired help.
    10-10-10
  • We won't have a guest book attendant or anyone handing out programs. I figure everyone is well versed enough to know you write in a guest book, and if you want a program grab one (they'll be in a basket near the entrance).

As far as decorating, a combo of our florist (for centerpieces), caterer (for linens) and venue (other decor) is handling that, thankfully.

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• Just a thought - if you're active on your local board; maybe you can trade DOC services with another local bride?  That's what I'm doing. :)
    Photobucket
  • In Response to Re: S/O Guestbook Attendant... who IS doing these things for you?:
    We won't have a guest book attendant or anyone handing out programs. I figure everyone is well versed enough to know you write in a guest book, and if you want a program grab one (they'll be in a basket near the entrance).
    Posted by prideeinpynk
    Same here. It's going to be more of a casual atmosphere anyway, and 80 or so guests, so people should figure it out (there will be signs of course).

As far as the set up and break down, we actually have the venue for the whole week and are staying there, so we have plenty of time to decorate and break down in the days before and after the wedding. I'm hiring 2 of my catering friends on the day of to help move the chairs after the ceremony, keep an eye on the food, pass cake, and bus plates.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Laura & Brian | October 23, 2010 | Planning Bio!
  • I have a family that I am very close with. The mom is actually one of my readers for our catholic Ceremony. Her two youngest children are going to hand out programs and then stand by the guestbook. They are 13 and 14. They wanted to be involved so it was an easy fit. As far as everything else we have not worked out who is going to put our center pieces out since I am not doing flowers.

• I'm going to have the two groomsmen who are acting as ushers hand out programs as well.  The set up and take down is included in my package so luckily I don't have to worry about that.  Putting gifts away, well, I plan on my bridal party to assist me with that.  The guestbook I'm spreading the word to my family and will have a sign.
  • Our venue comes with a DOC. Yay!

I was thinking about what first poster said tho for you, have a younger female family member (or even a couple) be your "wedding attendant" to do those kinds of things.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My DOC is minding the guestbook and gift table, and also helping with programs and everything else going on.  I ditto PP who say that most people know to sign the book and take a program if they are there when they walk in though.
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Blake William due May 30, 2012!! BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • No guestbook attendant or greeter for us.  The church places programs in each chair (the church never had pews, only chairs) and I despise guestbooks.  To set up our DIY submerged centerpieces a wonderful friend of mine and her husband have offered to set it up.  One of my parents' best friends (like an aunt and uncle to me) are taking all the gifts home with them after the reception.
  • I have a DOC and venue staff. My venue cuts the cake. My DOC will set up the reception. I'm planning on people knowing how to sign the guestbook themselves.

I only hired a DOC because both of our families are coming in from OOT and I didn't want to have to make my mom go to a reception venue in a strange city and set things up while we're off taking pics.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I'm also of the opinion that if you NEED people to work certain things at your wedding (serving cake, for example, or setting up chairs) you should just hire some strangers off of craigslist and let your guests enjoy the party.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • some families from our church, who were not asked as guests, volunteered to do some of the logistic things of the wedding  (set up, tear down, photobook & guestbook) it was such a sweet offer, and totally what we needed!
    Photobucket
  • I have a DOC, but she wont watch the guestbook, I am just going to sit it there.
    Programs will be in a basket as you walk up to the ceremony for people to pick up.
    Clean up and stuff is all hired.

Photobucket image
    Crystal and Shawn
  • One of our ushers....which is my teenage nephew.

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards