Military Brides

Mess Dress

Hey ladies!
  My FI wants to wear his mess dress (Air Force) for the ceremony. I'm trying to create the budget and estimate about how much purchasing it will cost. I'm not sure where to look to find out and FI hasn't had a chance to look. Thanks!

Re: Mess Dress

• edited December 2011
    My H's Army blues were $800 (everything was new). There is a website that has all the uniforms and that you order from. I think it is marlowwhite.com. HTH

BFP 02/2010 m/c 03/17/2010 dx PCOS 04/2010
    BFP 08/13/2011 CP 08/15/2011
    BFP 09/16/2011 EDD 05/20/2012
    Claire Elizabeth, born 5/30 via a med free birth Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • AggieGirl2009AggieGirl2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Marlow White has great service and great quality uniforms.  I think their quality is better than going to military clothing and sales.  My uniform cost about $650.  I just looked on their website, and it looks like they only serve Army and Navy servicemembers.  It wouldn't hurt to call or email, though.
  • edited December 2011
    The AF mess dress is $400 for everything including shoes and shoulder boards. Prices are the same everywhere through AFFES and you shouldn't get them through a different vendor because they're not official uniforms. If you get them sized at the MCSS when you purchase them on base, they'll do it for free. Hope that helps!
  • dswish52dswish52 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I must agree - go with Marlow White! They have the highest quality dress uniforms, period. Take them to a base to get them altered correctly. My FI did this with his Army dress blues and they look great!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm still learning all this Air Force stuff, but if I recall correctly, he should get a yearly allowance for uniforms that should help. As long as he doesn't need new BDUs/ABUs (does he have his already for the switch?), maybe you can put that towards it?

I know, it's super helpful when someone is only slightly less than clueless, haha.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_mess-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7e3b4548-2f89-47ee-9c19-83c8d5db620dPost:9b59c7fb-878e-469c-8a1f-44d17d7f79b5">Re: Mess Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]The AF mess dress is $400 for everything including shoes and shoulder boards. Prices are the same everywhere through AFFES and you shouldn't get them through a different vendor because they're not official uniforms. If you get them sized at the MCSS when you purchase them on base, they'll do it for free. Hope that helps!
    Posted by pie508[/QUOTE]

<div>This. But he'll have to buy his ribbons separately, I think. </div>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    have him check with on-base classified ads.  my fiance bought his used, almost perfectly sized, for under 200.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My FH and I are both in the Air Force and he is also wearing Mess Dress for our Late April wedding. He is renting his. The uniform cost about $50, shoes (his fell apart so he had to buy new cloroforms) cost about $55 and his ribbons and mini medals (which he had to purchase) cost about $88. He is enlisted so if your guy is an "O" it may cost a little more. I hope this helps! Good luck. 
  • cmilner07cmilner07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

They should sell them at the BX on base. We are in Tampa, FL and that is wear my fiance found his  : )

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_mess-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:7e3b4548-2f89-47ee-9c19-83c8d5db620dPost:a5a33e9f-edd3-457c-ae9d-209481e31e60">Re: Mess Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm still learning all this Air Force stuff, but if I recall correctly, he should get a yearly allowance for uniforms that should help. As long as he doesn't need new BDUs/ABUs (does he have his already for the switch?), maybe you can put that towards it? I know, it's super helpful when someone is only slightly less than clueless, haha.
    Posted by temerityjane[/QUOTE]

While things might be different from branch to branch, commissioned officers do not receive a yearly clothing allotment. Since mess dress is an officer (commissioned and NCO) only uniform, I am going to assume that the OP's fiance is an officer and most likely won't get any sort of money, even for BDUs.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards