40-Plus Brides

What am I going to do?

My future father in law is a real jerk and no one wants to sit with him at the reception dinner. What do I do? I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable, but someone has got to do it right?

Re: What am I going to do?

• I feel your pain! Your options depend on how far along in the wedding process you are and other circumstances, but here I go:

-sit him next to people who will either ignore him or wring him in

-have him sit at the end of the head table if it is long

-have him sit at the end of a long table instead of having round tables

-is your future father in law married? you could have a sweetheart table for yourself and your groom, another small table for the moh and best man, and other small tables for your parents, his parents, and other wedding party members- that way you are all highlighted but you're not stuck with him at a round head table

-keep dinner interrupted with dancing in between courses to give other people sitting at the table a break from him

-make dinner short and focus on dancing

-give him an alternate address for the reception and hope he gets lost :)

• I had a similar situation with a friend we invited: she never SHUTS UP. She came alone so she had no one else to talk to.

My alternatives were to sit her at a table with really nice people who would smile and say "uh huh" while she detailed her entire life and all her problems, or at a table of people who I knew would be so busy dancing and visiting with other tables that they wouldn't be there to listen to her incessantly moving mouth.

Those are a couple of options.
  • Lots of luck with this one!  We faced a similar situation with my son's father-in-law, who once attacked my son with a knife.  (Yeah, "jerk" may be too mild a word for it.)  And he's virulently homophobic, which was not too helpful, given that I'm married to another woman.  We ended up having him at a parents' table.  However, he had his wife on one side of him, and my son's old nanny on the other side of him.  The room was noisy enough so that it was impossible to talk across the table, so we heard blessedly little from him.
  • LMAO  well I can hope he gets lost. He is not married but he knows everything and makes it a point to make sure we all know that. His own kids don't wanna sit with him because we all have to hear about how much he has done for everyone, and how much he spent doing it!
  •  I have this issue with a friend of my FH that I have to invite.  Everyone thinks he is a big bore and he is.  I will sit him between two elderly relatives that are pretty deaf and in front of the speakers so no one can hear him!  I am going to do this, really.
  • Table One is traditionally these people:

MOB
    FOB
    MOG
    FOG
    Officiant
    Spouse of Officiant

But in your case, I would suggest that Table One be for these people:
    MOB
    FOB
    Grandparents of bride
    Siblings of bride
    Officiant
    Spouse of Officiant

and then for Table Two:
    FOG
    FOG's other son and wife
    FOG's other daughter and husband
    FOG's other daughter and husband
    FOG's parents

Because even though the other kids don't want to sit with him, it's their obligation for their brother's wedding...

• I

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_am-going?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:c0d158f0-f8bb-4318-b3c8-b6983186188dPost:5e431b97-a1f9-4b20-987b-f7bac174f2b3">Re: What am I going to do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Table One is traditionally these people: MOB FOB MOG FOG Officiant Spouse of Officiant But in your case, I would suggest that Table One be for these people: MOB FOB Grandparents of bride Siblings of bride Officiant Spouse of Officiant and then for Table Two: FOG FOG's other son and wife FOG's other daughter and husband FOG's other daughter and husband FOG's parents Because even though the other kids don't want to sit with him, it's their obligation for their brother's wedding...
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

I thought of this, but when I brought it up no one agreed. My FH's mom has passed and I have no family. So Im screwed?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards