Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Father/Daughter Dance Song

I am having so much trouble finding a father/daughter dance song, and my meeting with my DJ to give him this information is quickly approaching!  My father and I have a great relationship, but neither of us are the particularly emotional type...And all of the song suggestions I see are for those emotional, sappy songs that just aren't us...Anyone have any ideas for a song that doesn't have that "daddy's little girl" type theme?  Any help would be appreciated!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Father/Daughter Dance Song

• edited December 2011
    Guess it depends on if you are looking for a newer or older song?  What about an Al Green song, or Unforgettable by Natalie and Nat King Cole (Father and Daughter Duet)... There's plenty of un-sappy songs you can pick from- guess it depends on the genre of music you are looking for.  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 115 Made the cut!
    image 90 Are ready to party and cruise Lake Michigan!
    image 21 Are party poopers and would rather be lame at home!
    image 4 Are actually really making me pissy now
  • edited December 2011
    I'm with you - I had the toughest time finding a song for us to dance to. My suggestion to you is to google non-traditional wedding songs. That's finally how I found the right one. But it was exhausting, frustrating and not easy. Pick a genre and start there! 
    FWIW  - I picked "To Sir With Love". it's perfect for our relationship
    White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    What about

"Are you gonna be my girl" by Jet?

Also, check out youtube for those fun father/daughter dances where the sappy song turns into a fun dancing beat :)
  • punkabellepunkabelle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your suggestions!  I have spent so much time trying to find a song, and it's driving me crazy...Luckily for me, FI found the perfect first dance song...If not for him, I would have lost my mind by now!  Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jc04100657jc04100657 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What did you end up picking? We are dancing to I wish you love by Dean Martin :)
    Anniversary

September 2011 Siggy Challenge- Favorite Ceremony Photo
    Photobucket
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm still working on the Father/Daughter dance...I've listened to so many songs, but nothing seems to fit...It's driving me INSANE! Yell

Me and FI have a strict no-country music rule for the ceremony, which reduces the number of songs to choose from...I never thought it would be this hard, but this has actually been the hardest part of all of the planning I've done...Also, my father isn't exactly young, and he had knee replacement surgery this year, so I'm trying to keep with something that is slow enough for him to be comfortable but not overly-emotional...Which is seemingly impossible!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I dont think Im gonna do the "traditional" dance with my dad. My dad is from Puerto-Rico and I thought i'd be kinda awesome & different if we danced to the spanglish version of Stand By me by prince royce. It's a little different, but I think he's gonna LOVE the idea! I can not wait to share my idea with him. Not to mention he's going to have to teach me how to dance. Noone else will know until the big day, it's going to be our secret.

• edited December 2011
    My dad and I are dancing to Feeling Good as sung by Michael Buble. Actually, a ballroom danceer is teaching us.
  • edited December 2011
    I was in the same situation that you are in at the moment of having to choose a song to dance to with your dad. It's never easy having to find one! My dad who is my ex-stepfather has been more of a father to me than biological father has been. We are planning to dance to the song "My wish" by Rascal Flatts. I realized when reading your replies back to the other posters I saw that you said that your on a strict no country songs at the reception. I would of suggested this song because of what the lyrics are meant behind it!

Sharing the lyrics with you if you'd like to know them!

"My wish" Rascal Flatts

I hope that the days come easy and the moments pass slow,
    And each road leads you where you want to go,
    And if you're faced with a choice, and you have to choose,
    I hope you choose the one that means the most to you.
    And if one door opens to another door closed,
    I hope you keep on walkin' till you find the window,
    If it's cold outside, show the world the warmth of your smile,

But more than anything, more than anything,
    My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
    Your dreams stay big, and your worries stay small,
    You never need to carry more than you can hold,
    And while you're out there getting where you're getting to,
    I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too,
    Yeah, this, is my wish.

I hope you never look back, but ya never forget,
    All the ones who love you, in the place you left,
    I hope you always forgive, and you never regret,
    And you help somebody every chance you get,
    Oh, you find God's grace, in every mistake,
    And you always give more than you take.

But more than anything, yeah, and more than anything,
    Yeah, this, is my wish.

Yeah, this, is my wish.

This is my wish
    I hope you know somebody loves you
    May all your dreams stay big

Good luck choosing a song!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in the exact same boat!  My family isn't very touchy feely or emotional at all, so finding a song has been really difficult.  To be honest, I'm not crazy about having to do the dance at all, but what can ya do.  Good luck!
  • tdalyn4tdalyn4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     My daughter and her father waltzed to an instrumental version of "Moon River" from "Breakfast at Tiffanys", very classic and everyone loved it.  Instrumentals can save a "sappy" song.
  • edited December 2011

I'm not sure what I'm dancing with my dad too, but I have it narrowed down to three...We aren't the sappy, daddy's little girl type people at ALL. And actually I was going to go with Thank you By Led Zeppelin but its a super long song for my dad (who isn't big on being in the spotlight) to dance to. 
    SOOOO, here's my three, hope it helps you.

Isn't She Lovely by Stevie Wonder.  

God Only Knows by the Beach Boys. 

In My Life by the Beatles

GOOD LUCK!!

my_wedding_original Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married in October, and I have been struggling with this as well! I FINALLY picked a song... I am very into oldies, so I decided on "Teach Your Children Well" - Crosby, Stills & Nash.
    It isn't a "lovey dovey" song, but still about growing up and thanking him. And its a shorter, a little more upbeat song :)
    Good luck!
  • tabathajamolltabathajamoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My grandfather is walking me down the isle because he is the only stable father figure i've ever had in my life...My mom passed 2 years ago and she said that their song together when she was growing up was "Brown eyed girl" by Van Morrison, so that is what we are dancing too...I too, love that song, but it's also a way for my mom to be apart of that dance.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I finally found a song! We're using I hope You Dance by Ronan Keating...Glad that's over with!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • RiaMasRiaMas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dad and I arent doing anything traditional. Try and find something that the both of you like. We're going to dance to Beauty and the Beast. Because thats what he used to twirl me around to 20 years ago. :]
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    ?BFP: 2/25/15 ? Natural MC 3/7/12 (5w3d) ?
  • edited December 2011
    I chose Wildflowers by Tom Petty - totally non-traditional, in my opinion!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards