African American Weddings

When Did You Send Out Save the Dates?

I am almost 9 months out and I am expecting to receive my STD order tomorrow, so I was thinking about sending them over the weekend. Do you think this is too early? When did you send yours?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: When Did You Send Out Save the Dates?

• edited December 2011
    I sent mine out around the 10 month mark.

I had to mostly because a lot of the guest list were family members that live out of state, and we wanted to make sure that we got in thier calenders before anything else came along and occupied thier time!
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I dont think that is too early.  Send them out.  They are not the invitation but just a casual way to inform your guest that your day is coming.  So  dont make any plans. lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • MsAmeera25MsAmeera25 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I sent mine at the 9 month mark so I think it would be fine to send them out!

• edited December 2011

Okay thanks I will go ahead and send them out.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    1 yr mark.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• edited December 2011
    I did 8 months. All my guest are coming in from out of town.
  • edited December 2011
    I sent mine out around 10 months out for a DW.
  • edited December 2011

9-10 months seems to be pretty standard!

• M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think thats a good time frame! I am getting married december 2012 and mine will be in the mail november of this year, its a dw for our guests so I want to allow plenty of planning time
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Save the dates are not mandatory for every wedding.  The etiquette books advise that you send them out if you are having a destination wedding, your wedding date is more than 1 year out, or if you have a large number of out of town guests that you are inviting to your wedding.  

Something else to consider about save the dates is this:

Once you send a STD to someone, you are pretty much obligated to invite them to your wedding.  If you decide 6 months later to cut your guest list, you run the risk of being a dirty dog if you choose not to invite someone to the wedding that you sent a STD to initially.  

I think they are a nice thing to do, but definitely not a necessity in all cases.  If you do send them out, I advise you to consider sending them to a smaller number of people than what might be your dream invite list.  This will protect you from having to "un-invite" people if something comes up along the planning process.  
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Everyone that I am sending STD's to I have included in my original guest count for invitations. I am also using this as an official way to say yes, we are engaged, and yes, there will be a wedding so mark your calendars especially since we are not having an engagment party.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards