Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Hey NOLA Brides...Have you ever...? (Need your advice!!)

Hi Ladies, 

I'm seriously considering booking some of the vendors below. If you have any advice, warnings, praise or helpful tips about working with any of the people/companies below, I would LOVE your opinion.

Thanks in advance :) 

Best of luck to the soon-to-be brides and congrats to those who are already official!

• Rehearsal Dinner: Dooky Chase
  • Ceremony & Reception Venue: The Westin Canal Place
  • Wedding Planner: Forescene Events
  • Photography: Lauren Carroll
  • Videography: Clawson Media
  • Band: Gina Brown (& Michael Batiste)
  • Flowers: Christine McKay, Beth's Flowers, NOLA Flowers, or Dorignac's (really curious about this one!)
  • Cake: Gambinos
  • Photobooth: Majestic Photo

Re: Hey NOLA Brides...Have you ever...? (Need your advice!!)

• Options
    Dooky Chase: great choice. I definitely would make reservations well inadvance. They book quickly. Gambinos Bakery, i myself would pass on them. Cakes are dry for the price. Im using Haydels. They do great work and taste good too. Flowers. Beths flowers are good. I used them for my first wedding years ago and they did a great job. Not sure about having a grocery store do flowers for a wedding. Im using Flowers by Janice in Harahan. She is very creative and will show you what flowers would look good together and she is very affordable. She only does one wedding a day so she can consentrate on that wedding. beautiful work. Check her out. Westin Canal place is gorgeous. Been to a party on the top floor. It overlooks the river and city. Beautiful view. Food was good. Not sure about price. If you are looking for a hotel to have your wedding try The Ritz Carlton on Canal Street. Been to a wedding there and it was wonderful. Ballrooms are big for big weddings and they transformed the room to what the bride wanted. Food was great and they will accomodate a live band if you want one. Dance floor big enough for everyone to dance. Hope this helps
  • Options
    <div>This definitely helps:) Thank you Nolagirl12!</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_hey-nola-brideshave-you-ever-need-your-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:0ab2ad9e-99e9-40ce-9a97-ddfa94e3230fPost:909edeeb-e91a-41a1-892e-b492c23f66e0">Re:Hey NOLA Brides...Have you ever...? Need your advice!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dooky Chase: great choice. I definitely would make reservations well inadvance. They book quickly. Gambinos Bakery, i myself would pass on them. Cakes are dry for the price. Im using Haydels. They do great work and taste good too. Flowers. Beths flowers are good. I used them for my first wedding years ago and they did a great job. Not sure about having a grocery store do flowers for a wedding. Im using Flowers by Janice in Harahan. She is very creative and will show you what flowers would look good together and she is very affordable. She only does one wedding a day so she can consentrate on that wedding. beautiful work. Check her out. Westin Canal place is gorgeous. Been to a party on the top floor. It overlooks the river and city. Beautiful view. Food was good. Not sure about price. If you are looking for a hotel to have your wedding try The Ritz Carlton on Canal Street. Been to a wedding there and it was wonderful. Ballrooms are big for big weddings and they transformed the room to what the bride wanted. Food was great and they will accomodate a live band if you want one. Dance floor big enough for everyone to dance. Hope this helps
    Posted by Nolagirl12[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_hey-nola-brideshave-you-ever-need-your-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:0ab2ad9e-99e9-40ce-9a97-ddfa94e3230fPost:909edeeb-e91a-41a1-892e-b492c23f66e0">Re:Hey NOLA Brides...Have you ever...? Need your advice!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dooky Chase: great choice. I definitely would make reservations well inadvance. They book quickly. Gambinos Bakery, i myself would pass on them. Cakes are dry for the price. Im using Haydels. They do great work and taste good too. Flowers. Beths flowers are good. I used them for my first wedding years ago and they did a great job. Not sure about having a grocery store do flowers for a wedding. Im using Flowers by Janice in Harahan. She is very creative and will show you what flowers would look good together and she is very affordable. She only does one wedding a day so she can consentrate on that wedding. beautiful work. Check her out. Westin Canal place is gorgeous. Been to a party on the top floor. It overlooks the river and city. Beautiful view. Food was good. Not sure about price. If you are looking for a hotel to have your wedding try The Ritz Carlton on Canal Street. Been to a wedding there and it was wonderful. Ballrooms are big for big weddings and they transformed the room to what the bride wanted. Food was great and they will accomodate a live band if you want one. Dance floor big enough for everyone to dance. Hope this helps
    Posted by Nolagirl12[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I would add, if you're looking for a hotel for your wedding, look at Le Pavillion - it's got Old World charm and Gwen, the Catering manager has been like a second mother to us.

</div>
  • Options
    I booked Lauren Carroll for my wedding in May. I have only taken my engagement pictures with her, but so far I love her! The pictures came out beautifully and were everything my fiance and I wanted. She did an awesome job really capturing our personalities. She is super sweet and very professional. I don't think that you could go wrong with her!

• Options
    jenhayes570jenhayes570 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2013
    <div>That's amazing to hear! Lauren is so sweet and I love her work. </div><div>
    </div><div>Congrats - May is around the corner :)</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_hey-nola-brideshave-you-ever-need-your-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:0ab2ad9e-99e9-40ce-9a97-ddfa94e3230fPost:c10f1221-f88d-4a6e-936d-7f4747160f68">Re: Hey NOLA Brides...Have you ever...? (Need your advice!!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I booked Lauren Carroll for my wedding in May. I have only taken my engagement pictures with her, but so far I love her! The pictures came out beautifully and were everything my fiance and I wanted. She did an awesome job really capturing our personalities. She is super sweet and very professional. I don't think that you could go wrong with her!
    Posted by lterranova1[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Thank you! <div>
    </div><div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_hey-nola-brideshave-you-ever-need-your-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:0ab2ad9e-99e9-40ce-9a97-ddfa94e3230fPost:c3a9d0c0-192e-43cd-9349-41250783d843">Re:Hey NOLA Brides...Have you ever...? Need your advice!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Hey NOLA Brides...Have you ever...? Need your advice!! : I would add, if you're looking for a hotel for your wedding, look at Le Pavillion - it's got Old World charm and Gwen, the Catering manager has been like a second mother to us.
    Posted by masdumas[/QUOTE]

</div>
  • Options
    I am using Beth's flowers and love them so far!! They are quick to respond to emails and any questions and changes I have are addressed quickly. They were really reasonably priced, and she had some amazing suggestions for me when I had no idea what color flowers to go with. I am not a big fan of Gambinos. I am from NOLA and remember when their cakes used to be the best. When we went there for a tasting we were not impressed at all. It didn't taste like anything special. We are using Haydels or Swiss, so I would suggest you look into those as well. Good luck!!
  • Options
    <div>This is fantastic...thank you! I also used to love Gambino's as a kid. Their pricing is so great, that it's hard not to put them on the list.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'll definitely reach out to Beth's as well.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_hey-nola-brideshave-you-ever-need-your-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:0ab2ad9e-99e9-40ce-9a97-ddfa94e3230fPost:5af81b81-dbad-4656-ad0d-53b8f9cacbcd">Re:Hey NOLA Brides...Have you ever...? Need your advice!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am using Beth's flowers and love them so far!! They are quick to respond to emails and any questions and changes I have are addressed quickly. They were really reasonably priced, and she had some amazing suggestions for me when I had no idea what color flowers to go with. I am not a big fan of Gambinos. I am from NOLA and remember when their cakes used to be the best. When we went there for a tasting we were not impressed at all. It didn't taste like anything special. We are using Haydels or Swiss, so I would suggest you look into those as well. Good luck!!
    Posted by mcahil1[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    I am using Beth's flowers for my wedding in June.  I am doing mostly silk flowers so I like that they will done sooner so I can look at them and make any last minute changes.  They are doing some live pieces for my church as well.  I am very happy with Beth's!
  • Options
    Oh I forgotone other GREAT thing about Beth's is they let you see the flowers the day before so if you have any small changes it can be done!!!! I LOVE this! She wants to make sure every bride is 100 in love with her flowers for the wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards