Moms and Maids
Options

advice about pregnant MOH / BM Dress sizing

Hi,
My best friend, MOH/mother of my flower girl - all around one of the most important people in my life -  is pregnant and we are all super excited for her & her family... :) She is due 3 months before the wedding. I am looking for advice from anyone who may have been in a similar situation how you went about ordering the dresses. She doesn't want to get measured right now of course as she is 7 months pregnant and it would not be an accurate measurement. we are thinking that the dress should be in the size she was prior to the pregnancy? or maybe the next size up? We have to order before she is due, to avoid an additional 80$ per dress rush order charge & to ensure they are here in time....
The other piece of advice I am looking for is a BM who was measured at one size, and after hearing the dreaded dress size number - refused to believe it and is adamant on ordering a dress 6 sizes smaller because she plans on losing the weight - I am all in her corner for the weight loss and really couldn't care what size she is to be honest as long as she is happy, but I am trying to avoid a situation where the dress is delivered and she isn't quite to her goal... I have tried to suggest a compromise of a size smaller instead of 6 sizes - but she wouldn't hear it at all (one of the most stubborn people I know God love her) - any suggestions on how to touch on this subject again without offending her - or her thinking that she is "fat" because that is not the case at all - I just want to make sure everyone has something to wear on our wedding day without having to reorder the dresses a 2nd time on a rush order... Any ideas would be fantastic....

Re: advice about pregnant MOH / BM Dress sizing

• Options
    edited December 2011
    With regards to the second issue - wedding/bridesmaid sizes are way off. I'm a UK size 18 (I believe US 16), my wedding dress was ordered a size 24 and it wasn't exactly huge on me, just needs to be taken in a bit at the top.

The gap in sizes is smaller when the person is smaller - the lady who sold me my dress said she bought hers only one size bigger (she's a UK 12).

To be honest, she shouldn't be worried about the 'number'. There won't be a huge number printed on the back of the dress - there won't even be a label inside the dress. As long as it fits her nicely, she will look beautiful. You may need to enlist the help of the bridal shop staff to let her know these dress sizes are way off.
  • Options
    vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you MOH just buy something off the rack closer to the wedding?  It doesn't matter if she doesn't exactly match the other BMs.  Also, DB has a maternity line of dresses, and BM dresses from DB come in within a few weeks.

As far as dress sizes, I'm a street size 6 and my wedding dress is a size 12.  However, if she wants to order a teeny tiny dress, it's up to her to lose the weight.  If she doesn't, the burden is on her to scramble to find (and pay for) a new one in time, or pay to have it altered to it will fit.  There really isn't a way to tactfully ask her to order a bigger dress.
  • Options
    AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_advice-above-pregnant-moh-bm-dress-sizing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:3f79e03a-ec73-497b-b776-1d954911cb28Post:d57a6ae7-b5b1-437e-9d99-70fcabff2d7d">advice about pregnant MOH / BM Dress sizing</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, My best friend, MOH/mother of my flower girl - all around one of the most important people in my life -  is pregnant and we are all super excited for her & her family... :) She is due 3 months before the wedding. I am looking for advice from anyone who may have been in a similar situation how you went about ordering the dresses. She doesn't want to get measured right now of course as she is 7 months pregnant and it would not be an accurate measurement. we are thinking that the dress should be in the size she was prior to the pregnancy? or maybe the next size up? We have to order before she is due, to avoid an additional 80$ per dress rush order charge & to ensure they are here in time....<div>
    </div><div> The other piece of advice I am looking for is a BM who was measured at one size, and after hearing the dreaded dress size number - refused to believe it and is adamant on ordering a dress 6 sizes smaller because she plans on losing the weight - I am all in her corner for the weight loss and really couldn't care what size she is to be honest as long as she is happy, but I am trying to avoid a situation where the dress is delivered and she isn't quite to her goal... I have tried to suggest a compromise of a size smaller instead of 6 sizes - but she wouldn't hear it at all (one of the most stubborn people I know God love her) - any suggestions on how to touch on this subject again without offending her - or her thinking that she is "fat" because that is not the case at all - I just want to make sure everyone has something to wear on our wedding day without having to reorder the dresses a 2nd time on a rush order... Any ideas would be fantastic....
    Posted by hiltzie[/QUOTE]

</div><div>For your MOH, if this is her 2nd child she should have a little more knowledge of her post-baby size afterward. If she does not I would either wait and just find a different dress (same color) off the rack or go at least 1 size up from pre-baby.</div><div>
    </div><div>As for your BM, it is her responsibility to get the dress. If she orders too small she is going to have to spend the A LOT of extra cash altering it if it doesn't fit (maybe something to bring up to her that might make it more of a realization to pick something closer to her size). </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was in the same situation. Have her measured at 8mths and order that size. Chances are, her bust will be the biggest difference from her pre-pregnacy size, so 8mths is a good measure. They can always alter down from a larger dress, but it's harder to go the other direction. Otherwise, a good rule-of-thumb is 2 sizes larger than pre-pregnancy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards