Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress shopping question

So I have a contact who is a seamstress and has a supplier for wedding dresses in the States, so she can order me any dress I want, and then provide the alterations, etc., for cheaper than retail and more secure than an online supplier, and I intend to buy my dress from her.The problem is that I don't know which one I want and I still need to go shopping for it.
So my question is: how do I go dress shopping and get the full experience when I don't intend to buy the dress at the shop?

Re: Dress shopping question

• When I was shopping I went to 3 shops, and then back again to 2 of them and ended up buying from one of them.

I think as much as they may try, they are not always going to make a sale. So go in, try on dresses. Don't tell them you're not going to buy, go with the intention of finding "the dress". They just don't need to know that you're not purchasing it from them. 

When you find the one, simply tell them you want to think about it.

A friend of mine found her dream dress at a shop, then called around to find the cheapest price on the dress.

In this industry everything is so expensive, I'd do what you can to save a bit of money.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went to 3 shops, and left all 3 without purchasing. After sleeping on it for one night, I called one of them back to order my dress. I was pretty sure it was the one, but I wanted to be sure.
    So I left 3 shops without buying, even though I found a dress I loved. It's pretty common.
  • I went seven times. Never once was I pressured to buy. Just go in and try things on. Don't say one way or the other whether to plan to buy or not. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My mom and I went dress shopping with the intention of making my dress ourselves. Just be as honest as you can about what you like and don't like, but at the end of the day, tell them you need to think it over and thank them for their time.
  • Well this idea is a little dishonest, you are wasting the salespersons time if you have no intention of purchasing, so you are basically using them. 

Most salespeople do work on commission, trust me, your salesperson will pick up on this and your experience may be not the best.  Do what you feel is right.  Most salespeople do not give you the information on the dress you try on IF they know they are being used.  I use to be in sales, so I know.  Just my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards