Florida-South Florida

Opinions regarding Officiant Situation

An acquaintance of mine is officiating my wedding.  I originally asked her how much she would charge and she said that she would do it for no charge.  In turn, I told her she would be invited to stay for the reception.  I am not that close with her, so she would not have been invited to the event under normal circumstances (she found out I was getting married via FB and then offered her services)...do I still have to give her a gift or "tip" for her services?  How do I handle this one?
image 82 Invited
image 35 are ready to party! image 6 have better things to do image41 are lollygagging
RSVP Date: Dec 19
image Favorite Registry Item/South FL Board

Re: Opinions regarding Officiant Situation

• My FI and I think you should give her a gift of some sort, something worth $20-$50, to show your appreciation for her time- especially since you aren't paying her. I'd say a "tip" would seem more like a payment, whereas a gift is a less business-like way to thank her for her time and efforts. I assume you guys are also meeting with her at least once prior to the wedding to discuss the ceremony, readings, vows, etc., so a gift isn't unreasonable. And since you are acquaintances, its friendlier and more casual than a tip (and I'd say avoid a gift card for the same reason). Try to find out from a mutual friend/acquaintance something that she might appreciate. HTH!
  • Thanks!
    image 82 Invited
    image 35 are ready to party! image 6 have better things to do image41 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: Dec 19
    image Favorite Registry Item/South FL Board
  • I'd get her a gift card and a nice card probably.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I would go with a gift.  Maybe something thoughtful she coul duse when she officiates other ceremonies- like a necklace, Bible (if religious), sash or something along those lines. 
    image Le Creuset 5qt Oval French Oven in Caribbean Blue Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards