Asian Weddings

Filipino weddings

Hello fellow knotties,
My fianc is Filipino, but I am not. I would like to incorporate some of the Filipino traditions into the ceremony in honor of his family and heritage, but we are not getting married in the Carholic church we attend a nondemininational church together. My fianc believes that the ceremonies only make sense during a Catholic mass. Has anyone ever seen it during a non Catholic ceremony? Also, where would I find out more information about the ceremonies? Unfortunately, his patents have both passed away, and his sisters were too young to really remember any of the weddings they attended. I appreciate your help and advice!

Re: Filipino weddings

• edited November 2012
    Not sure if you still need an answer to this... but I'm Filipino and my husband is Caucasian. There is, in no means, do you have to follow the traditions because of religion.  We never incorporated a Catholic wedding since he isn't Catholic.  We did, however, incorporate the traditions for a Filipino wedding -- the cord, veil, candles, coins and sponsors (sometimes they are godparents or an elder member of the family, like aunt, uncle, etc.  However, they also can be members of your bridal party as well).  AlsoOur officiant totally "revamped" the traditions based on our beliefs.

The link that I used to make sure I followed these traditions (and to order the items that I needed) - http://www.mybarong2.com/ceremony-art-1075.html
  • I'm full-blooded Filipina and Catholic, but my fiance is neither. I've been to traditional ceremonies with the whole 9 and I think some people felt a little uncomfortable, not being familiar with Catholic or Filipino tradition. We are getting married at my Catholic church, but I'm going for a simple, quick ceremony. One tradition I will be incorporating is my father will be wearing a barong tagalog. We will also be doing a money dance, but instead of the bride dancing with a bunch of guys and the groom dancing with a bunch of ladies, I think we'll just dance with each other and let guests pin money to us.On my 18th birthday, my mother made me do the dance with all the guys at my birthday party- including my basketball coach.. AWKWARD!  It sounds a little weird, but plus side is, you walk away with a little extra cash and its fun for guests to participate :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards