Washington-Seattle

Need help with invitation wording

Please help me with my invitation wording!  My parents are hosting, but we wanted to include FI's parents on there as well, so this is what we came up with.    I'm wondering if it's ok to have his parents on the same line even though they are divorced.    Please let me know if you have any other suggestions!

Mr. & Mrs. FOB first name last name
request the honor of your presence
at the marriage of their daughter

Bride first middle last to 
Groom first middle last

Son of Mrs. MOG first name last name & Mr. FOG first name last name

Saturday, the thirtieth of July
two thousand and eleven
half past five o'clock in the evening
Address 2
Reception to follow

Re: Need help with invitation wording

• meganhardanmeganhardan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One more question, instead of "Reception to follow" should we say something like "Please join us for dinner, drinks, and dancing immediately following the ceremony."  ??
  • mgoss228mgoss228 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My observations:

I think it looks great, great way to list FMIL and FFIL.

Does your mom mind not having her first name on the invite?  Personally, I would not want to be known as a Mrs. John Doe, but Mrs. Jane Doe.  But since you are using Mr. & Mrs. it can be a little difficult to format...

I think think either reception line is fine, choose whatever looks best on your invite format :)
    OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't have them both on the same line. The & implies that they're married. Also, traditionally, the bride doesn't have her last name, but honestly, I think it looks fine either way.

I would do "reception to follow." 
    Bride first middle 
    to 
    Groom first middle last

Son of 
    Mrs. MOG first name last name
    Mr. FOG first name last name
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mgoss-- That's a good point.  My mom is pretty traditional, so most likely she will want to be listed as Mrs. Dad's name last name, but I'll check with her just to make sure.  I don't really have a preference either way.

Do you think that at a 5:30 wedding it is assumed that there will be dinner?  I was leaning towards the "dinner, drinks, and dancing" so that there was no confusion on what kind of meal would be served.

Emyinpink--  That's what I was worried about listing them on the same line, but I thought it might look weird on two lines.  I think I'm going to go with your suggestion though and separate them, because I would definitely not want to imply that they are married (especiallys since FFIL is remarried--although FI does not feel the need to include her on the invite).   Also, good point about my last name, especially since that's a given.  I'm going to go with your advice and just list my first and middle.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!
  • edited December 2011
    For a wedding starting at 5:30, I would assume that dinner was provided. I would say it's actually more important to specific if you weren't having dinner (i.e., cocktail reception to follow). 

If you have a website (which is also a good place to list any registries), that's an easy way to clarify. We have an "event information" section on our website, which has the venue, the ceremony start time, small ceremony details (our officient is our good friend, so we're calling him out there), then I mention our wine-tasting cocktail hour, dinner, and desert/dancing.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Emyinpink--good point about dinner.  I think most people will assume that we will serve dinner.  We do have a website and are planning on putting enclosure cards with the website address in the invitations, so that's a great idea as far as clarifying the ceremony and reception details on there. 

Thanks for your help!

• Frogger5Frogger5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know that traditionally the names on the invite are the parents hosting (really paying) for the wedding, but in more complicated situations with remarriages, etc, you could always just say "together with their parents" in which case you would put bride first name last name & groom first name last name. This is definitely less formal, though, and it looks like you might be going for more formal.

I think a 5:30 wedding definitely implies dinner, and I agree that it would only be worth mentioning it if you weren't going to do that. I'm a little nervous now though that I only wrote "reception immediately following" instead of maybe "dinner + reception immediately following" or something to that effect as our ceremony starts 7pm Friday. Might have to rely on website and word of mouth on that one, since invitations are already done!
  • edited December 2011

I would personally put the parents on the same line as each other (otherwise how do you choose who goes first?).  Also it keeps it looking more formal. 
    I would do Mr. First Last and Ms./Mrs. First Last
    Choose Ms. or Mrs. depending on whether the mother is remarried or kept her married name or is not married and has her maiden name.

We did:

Mr. and Mrs. First Last
    Request the honor of your presence
    at the marriage of their daughter

Erin Middle
    to
    FI Middle

son of Mr. and Mrs. First Last
    Saturday, the twenty seventh of August
    Five o'clock in the evening
    Reception name
    Reception address

Reception immediately following

We did all caps so I'm not sure how the capitalizations work :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards