Delaware

Oh, Dad...

So I sent my father a text last night that said something like "Hey... help me pick a song for us to dance to at my wedding.  I'm thinking of something really upbeat and fun."

He picks...
* Goodnight, My Angel - Billy Joel
* I Loved Her First - Heartland
* My Little Girl - Tim McGraw

By the way... my father HATES country music. He did a search for good father daughter dance songs on google... you know... all those songs I don't want to use? 

My suggestions?
* Sugarpie, Honeybunch - The Temptations
* My First, My Last, My Everything - Barry White (except I can't use it bc my future SIL did at her wedding)
* Father and Daughter - Paul Simon

I think we're in for a LLOONNGG discussion about songs...

Can you guys think of any other upbeat fun songs that will NOT make me cry?  Originally I wanted to do Eva Cassidy's Over the Rainbow, but Gzilla and I have made a large effort to have fun offbeat music everywhere else.
Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog

Re: Oh, Dad...

• edited December 2011
    I want the same thing and people look at me like I'm crazy!!

My dad and I are very close but we definitely don't have the stereotypical daddy's girl kind of relationship.

I even thought of the "Forever Young" version from the show Parenthood or David Bowie's "Changes" done by another artist, but I haven't researched that one yet.

Good luck and keep me posted because I'm in the same boat as you!
    September 2011 August Siggy Challenge- Drag Queens!! imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I want an older song... because I don't want this long, sappy song that everyone is going to be bored with halfway through, but I don't necessarily want something so off-base either. 

What do you think about....

You Are the Sunshine of my Life ~ Stevie Wonder
    Isn't She Lovely ~ Stevie Wonder
    Landslide ~ Fleetwood Mac
    Teach Your Children ~ CSNY (which was my first concert... with my Dad)
    Through The Years ~ Kenny Rogers (yes, it's a sappy song, but when I was 3 until I was 5, I was OBSESSED with Kenny Rogers, so it's a bit of a joke with my family)
    You Got It ~ Roy Orbison
    Thank You ~ Led Zeppelin
    Daughter ~ Loudon Wainwright III

You Got It I'm very iffy on because it makes me SOB for entirely separate reasons.  My favorite movie of all time, no matter how cheesy it is, is "Boys on the Side." And Whoopi sings that song at the end... and it's VERY SAD.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wanted something different for me and my dad too.  He used to listen to Franki Valli and 4 Season all the time when I was little.  I loved them because of my dad.  So I wanted to dance to Opus 17 (Don't You Worry About Me).  The song is actually about a guy singing to his ex-girlfriend but most of the lyrics were still appropriate to a father giving away his daughter.  Plus, the group had meaning to us.

Another song I really thought was good for my dad was Rodney Atkins, "Cleaning this Gun".

I sent him those songs along with some other suggestions and told him to pick a song from the list or another.  What did he choose, "I Loved Her First".  Ugh.  That song is so overdone, and I really didn't want it.  But dad had his heart set on it.

Good luck picking a song!

• edited December 2011
    My vote is for Daughter. I love that song.

There's a pretty cool version of daughters by John Mayer and Brad Paisley too.... I know you're not big on Country, but it's a cute song.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Oh, I love country music.  My dad hates country music.  I do, however, hate John Mayer.  But I"ll take Brad Paisley (home)

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • edited December 2011
    I had also thought about CSN&Y!  And my dad is a huge fan.

Thank you is a great song as well I think but so LONG!!!  I know it would be cut down to be shorter but still.
    September 2011 August Siggy Challenge- Drag Queens!! imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • scalhoun125scalhoun125 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I like all those song choices and it's very difficult to decide!
    BUT I would say to go with something that has meaning behind it. So  TEACH your CHILDREN by CSNY since it was your first concert together....i think thats pretty special! OR Kenny Rogers since its a family joke. :)

I also just love Isnt She Lovely!!

Thanks for giving some great song choices!

tough decision...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Dad picked "Father and Daughter" by Paul Simon.  It's the only one that both of us agreed on.

Scalhoun--also check out "Daughter" by Loudon Wainwright III (it's from Knocked Up, but it's really sweet) and "Gracie" by Ben Folds.  I really REALLY liked Gracie, even though my name isn't Grace, but my dad didn't.

I think Gzilla and his mom are going to go with either "You Got It" by Roy Orbinson or "I Just Want To Dance With You" by The Beatles.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards