Jewish Weddings

Modern Orthodox Rabbis as Officiants -- what price do you pay?

Hi,

I had budgeted $300 dollars for a Rabbi, but now the Rabbi is asking for at least $500.  Is this reasonable?  How much are you paying for a Rabbi to serve as an officiant at your wedding?

Thanks!

Re: Modern Orthodox Rabbis as Officiants -- what price do you pay?

• RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Our Rabbi did ours for free (family friend).

After the wedding we donated $500 in his honor to a non profit organization.

I think $500 is somewhat reasonable, I've heard of Rabbis charging over $1,000.

If it is not in your budget I am sure you could look elsewhere.

If either of your families belongs to a MO shul, you could see if their Rabbi will officiate.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Our rabbi/shul donation is $500; that's about what I thought it would and is fairly within NYC budget.  When I was looking at other venues and the coordinator didn't know if we had a rabbi, we were quoted this as well.

If you just didn't expect it, perhaps you can move money from another area or ask a member on both sides (if you are unable) to donate $100 each.  Otherwise, you can try to negotiate something, but I think it's fair.  Anything above that, then I'd look elsewhere for sure.  GL.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks!  We are going to pay $300 and my FI's parents are contributing an extra $200.
  • edited December 2011
    when we first met with our rabbi he told us whatever we think , was are giving him 500 and our cantor 300.
  • edited December 2011

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards