Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Shocked by prices...in a good way

I've been doing some browsing of photographer's portfolios and cross referencing them with the "investment" pages to see what different styles of photography cost. 

I saw a photog from a rural town about an hour from my city featured on a pretty major blog recently and was a little taken aback to see her fee listed at $4100 for a weddng day.   I hadn't contacted anyone in my city at that point, but after a little more poking around, I thought $4K might be the range.

I got my first quote, from a brilliant local photog who has had his work featured nationally and it's $2500!  I'm in shock.  Obviously, adding a second shooter will increase the cost, but it's way, way under what I was expecting. 

Now I'm curious.  What is the cost in your part of the country?

Re: Shocked by prices...in a good way

• edited December 2011
    I'm in NC. We're getting 2 photographers for 6 hours and a DVD with our prints for $1050. 
  • edited December 2011
    I had very strong feelings that I didn't want my wedding to be a photo op so my photographer worked for about three hours, took 138 shots and charged $500 in southern New Jersey.  When you have more than one photographer, a videographer and have all day shoots, you will pay thousands of dollars.  This is before you pay for prints or an album.  This is certainly an area where you can spend a lot or a little bit of money depending on your priorities.  Personally, I have been in wedding parties where we spent the entire time posing for pictures, and I absolutely did not want that.  I only wanted key moments caught and maybe a couple of nice portrait to fill the lovely frames we were given as wedding gifts.
  • LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm paying about $1700 for 7 hours, and it includes proofs, etc. I live in the DC area. Photography packages can get super expensive, it all depends on what you get in them!
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • edited December 2011
    We're paying less than $3k with a very nice album and other stuff.

The real answer to your question is that you can pay as much or as little as you want.  I doubt there's a city in the US without a $10k+ wedding photographer.  And most cities including NYC and others will feature photogs for less than $1k.  This is definitely an area where you get what you pay for.  If you're lucky, you might find a photographer on his way up while he's still in the $2k range.  But generally, you do get what you pay for.
  • elamnopelamnop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay for good deals!  My photographer is from Chicago- www.studiofinch.com
    and I'm paying $1300 for all day and a photobooth!  I originally saw photographers I loved for $3700, but that was way over the budget.
  • edited December 2011
    Guess I win on the low end.  We are using a photographer who is nationally recognised (and lives close to my fiancee) and she is charging us $50 an hour (as we are getting married at night and on a weekday) she is giving us an awesome deal.  $100 extra for the CD.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards