Jewish Weddings
Options

Sunday October 7th - holiday?

Hi all

We had our wedding planned for october 7th of this year because it is a Sunday of a long weekend and I wanted my rabbi to be able to marry me.  As it turned out, it is the last day of Sukkot and begins Shemini Atzeret which falls on the monday/tues prior to the celebration later that week of Simchas torah.  So...my rabbi won't do the wedding and said that he is hard pressed to believe that even a reform rabbi would marry us on that day because of the holiday season.  Does anyone have any recommendations on this? I live in the Boston area and would want to get married that day (and would just want any rabbi at this point), but don't know if that is even an option. Does anyone have suggestions as to where I should look now? Anyone else run into this problem? Any help woudl be much appreciated

Re: Sunday October 7th - holiday?

• Options
    This is why we talked with our rabbi before picking the date. Do you have anything booked yet? Would it be possible to move the date so that your rabbi can still marry you? I tend to agree with your rabbi that no rabbis will perform the marriage that day; I am Reform and our rabbi follows all of the rules for when weddings can and cannot take place.

I hope you figure out a good solution! Good luck!
  • Options
    We haven't booked yet but had soft holds on photog, band and venue. All but photog are available for the following Sunday but we are nervous that the wedding is partially outside so we are dependent on new England weather. Thoughts on a Sunday wedding though? I'm just nervous about guests leaving early and not letting loose...
  • Options
    If you are worried about guests leaving early, can you have the wedding earlier in the day to give people time to travel or get ready for the week without having to duck out early?  We ended up getting married on the Sunday of a holiday weekend, but we always planned to have a midday wedding.  Our ketubah signing was at 12:30, chuppah at 1, and the right into the cocktail hour and reception.  We had an open bar and a band, people definitely cut loose.
  • Options
    I think the Sunday aspect is fine. Yes, some people will leave earlier in the evening than they would on a Saturday night. But you can either try to start the ceremony earlier in the day, or just be fine with a reception that will likely end around 9 or 10 rather than going long into the night. We are getting married July 1, the Sunday before Fourth of July. Some people, especially OOT guests, are already planning on taking a few days off to turn the midweek holiday into a vacation. Others may have to go to work the next day. But neither FI nor I are late night party people, so the fact that people might leave early doesn't bother us. For you, you really just need to figure out your group. Will they be the type to stay out late on a Sunday (if that's important to you)? We can't tell you what your friends and family are like. As for the date, since you only have soft holds and all your vendors are free for the following weekend, I would move the date in order to have the officiant you want. Can you find another photog whose work you like?
  • Options
    My wedding was October 10th (a Sunday) and the reception went from 5 to 10. Very few people left early.. mostly they were older guests... and all of my friends stayed for after hours in our hotel. It was a fantastic time and a huge party!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Glad you figured it out! Good luck with the rest of the planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards