Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Gel Manicures

So after much debate I decided to have my pink and whites which I've been wearing for 5 years taken off today.  My nails were so weak I decided to get a gel manicure because my sister swears by them. How long do they usually last?  Can I do dishes and everything with them?  Will they ruin my nails even more or will they grow back healthier.  Sorry for all the questions but I'm second guessing my decision and it's only been 4 hours. On a side note- it looks so weird to have painted nails.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Gel Manicures

• They last up to 3 weeks without chipping.  You can do dishes, but you should keep in mind that you can't go crazy.  It will not ruin your nails at all if you get it professionally removed.  Hope this helps!

ps-I loved them compared to any other type of manicure.  I can't stand the thick nail feeling.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Birthday
  • Hello : if your nails are weak from the acrylics I would suggest you take a week or a few off from polish completely! Use a strengthener like opi nail envy for a while until you start to see healthy new growth. I usually tell clients to layer a new coat for five days, take it off for two and restart the process. If you really need them painted I strongly reccommend a shellac manicure. It's not as harsh as a gel manicure, gives the same look and lasts about two weeks. Make sure you see the product before they apply it tons of places say its shellac and they use gel anyways because it's a cheaper product! Good luck sorry for rambling I'm a nail tech and have a passion for this stuff :
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_gel-manicures-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:fa7df425-abb8-45a7-aa44-7f3e169d1e72Post:e6a0af93-6a34-4d88-b307-c50a5f0ebe9c">Re:Gel Manicures</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello : if your nails are weak from the acrylics I would suggest you take a week or a few off from polish completely! Use a strengthener like opi nail envy for a while until you start to see healthy new growth. I usually tell clients to layer a new coat for five days, take it off for two and restart the process. If you really need them painted I strongly reccommend a shellac manicure. It's not as harsh as a gel manicure, gives the same look and lasts about two weeks. Make sure you see the product before they apply it tons of places say its shellac and they use gel anyways because it's a cheaper product! Good luck sorry for rambling I'm a nail tech and have a passion for this stuff :
    Posted by sdekes[/QUOTE]

My nails are already done but thanks for the advice.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've gotten Gels for the past two years consistently and love them. Never had acrylics, but I definitely think keeping the gels or polish on my nails keeps them healthier and stronger.

For me, they last about two weeks. We've been working on our house and I work with my hands a lot at work and I don't notice those things making them chip faster. They can and will chip, obviously, but not nearly as easily as regular polish. If you want to save money when you take them off (my salon charges for the soak off), buy acetone at Walmart, cotton balls and tin foil. Soak a cotton ball in acetone, place it on your nail, then wrap the tin foil around it so the cotton stays in place. Do that for every nail and wait about ten min. Then take a cuticle pusher and gently scrape off the gel.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Is gel like shellac? I've had shellac and that stuff is just as durable as acrylic.
  • I've read gel comes with a cancer risk: from the UV light and the chemical/s. If that matters to you. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards