Getting in Shape

First half marathon on Sunday!

Any advice??
I'm nervous about what to eat before but I've read that you should just eat what you wouldnormally before a run and not worry a ton about carb loading etc.
Any tips on what helped you get to the finish line?

Re: First half marathon on Sunday!

• Wow, that's awesome, good for you!! I've never run a half marathon but my sister is a marathoner and personal trainer and she always eats those Gu packs. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yay for 1st races!!!! Get ready to get addicted! :)

Do what you have been doing during your training. You don't want to shock your body with anything out of the norm. If you've always trained wearing a certain type of fabric, wear it on race day...if you tend to just drink water on your long runs, grab mainly water at the water stops (some have a sports drink at the stops as well). Etc. DON'T wear new shoes!!! Keep up with your water consumption today and tomorrow.

A few other things I have done for my marthons and longer races:
    ~My breakfast is oatmeal with fresh fruit and a banana with PB and WATER
    ~Put athletic tape on my feet where I may have extra rubbing to prevent blisters. ~I've brought gum or something sweet to suck on (not the most "healthy" per se, but it keeps your saliva moving) 
    ~For me, the crowd of runners and spectators is what really keeps me going to the finish line....it's a VERY motivating atmosphere.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good luck! That's amazing!

Don't worry on drinking a ton of water - just at stops and when you're thirsty. Weigh yourself before and after, and if your weight fluctuates a lot, drink water after the race to help get it back to normal and make sure you haven't lost too much fluid.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • No advice here as I've never been in your shoes (YET!) but I just wanted to say WTG, congrats and have fun!!!  GO YOU!!! 
  • I've run 2 half marathons with my 3rd this summer...I've always gotten to the finish line by not changing anything I did before a long training run.  No new foods, no new routines, no new gear and it seems to work.  Good luck and most of all have fun with the run!  Its a great experience!
  • Good luck and have tons of fun!
    August 2011 Siggy Challenge - Favorite E-Pic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image 275 Invited image 113 Partying it up image 15 At home lonely image 145 MIA
  • Too late now, but for anyone running any race...eat what you normally eat. No need to "carb load" or eat more (or less). My fi is an elite triathlete, and before one of his races we actually had pizza. Not ideal, and we usually eat healthy dinners, but we had a tough trip and ate later at night than planned, and he decided that pizza was a better option than spending longer at a diner. Normally, we both just have grilled chicken or fish and veggies (or something similar) the night before a race.

Hope the race went well!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards