Military Brides

Brownies :)

Holidays are truly beginning to hit and so is the cooking bug! 
I just made a batch of brownies to help me get through this last set of finals... ugh! My airman was jealous that He is unable to have any. lol

Does anyone have any special recipes or traditions for this time of year?

I have a homemade 12-14 layer German cake (sorry i am unable to remember how to spell the proper name for it) with a homemade fudge icing that I generally make around New Years. It is so rich but so good. GreatGrandmother's recipe and generally reserved for special occasions.

Brittany and Matthew December 28 USAF- Proud Fianc? Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Brownies :)

• edited December 2011
    I found an awesome chocolate chip cookie recipe online.  (To keep cookies moist longer put some pieces of bread in the bottom of the container- the bread will turn hard as a rock and keep the cookies moist to the point where they practically crumble)

But my favorite which adds a lil kick to your brownies - I found a Betty Crocker Recipe on her premade bag of choc. chip cookie mix. Make your brownies like you normal would and make a batch of your favorite choc. chip cookies. Spread the brownie mix in your pan then add the cookie dough in clumps (like you would to make the cookies but in the brownie batter instead) throughout the brownie mix. Bake at 375 for 30 mins (I believe) and you have Choc. Chip Cookie Dough Brownies. Top with your favorite Fudge Frosting and they are always a huge hit. the Cookie Dough cooks but remains moist.

And this year I am going to attempt to make cheese cake. I recently joined a new weight loss program to kick some weight before our wedding in May. Unfortunately none of my baking goodies are on my approved food list. haha

I bake a lot and send them to FI in Oklahoma and the rest of his Flight School buddies but they always end up in a crumbled mess by the time they get them. Thank you USPS haha. I have tried everything from bubble wrap to newspaper and nothing seems to work.
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shan do you have a foodsaver?  I have shipped H cookies twice now in his care packages, and I vacuum seal them with my food saver, and then stick them in the freezer overnight before the post office.  He said they are still ridiculously fresh when they get there and are in great shape.  The one he just got took 2 weeks for him to get, and they were still really fresh.  If you don't have one, its a great item for a registry.  That's how we got ours.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011

ooo... good luck with the cheesecake. that is one of my Favorites  :)
    This time of year is horrible for trying to stay in shape. I have never heard about the bread to keep cookies moist- now i have to test it out but that means I'll have to make cookies first. lol
     o goodness just read the cookie dough brownie recipe. I may just have to attempt it instead and save the bread/cookie experiment for later. I bet they love the sweets crumbled or not.

That is really neat about the foodsaver never would have thought of that. very smart idea Smile 

• edited December 2011

Flat Belly Diet includes several sweets recipes that are actually pretty amazing. My neighbor and his daughter made one of them and I didn't know until I asked for the recipe that they were actually healthy cupcakes.

You can look the recipes up online easily through search engines. This one seems to be getting really good reviews:

Flat Belly Diet Lemon Cupcakes With Citrus Icing Serves: 15Ingredients: Icing Directions:Prep Time: 20 minsTotal Time: 39 mins1.      Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners. 2.      Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. 3.      Combine the oil, eggs, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon extract and vanilla extract in a separate bowl - mix well. 4.      Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until smooth. 5.      Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake in a preheated oven for 17-19 minutes, or until lightly golden and springy when gently touched. 6.      Place pan on a rack and let cook for 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes to a wire rack and cool completely.  Icing: 1.      Combine confectioners' sugar, orange juice and orange zest in a small bowl and stir until smooth. 2.     Spread some of the glaze over each cupcake with a small spatula and let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.
  • edited December 2011
    dnbeach I am going to google them right now :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_brownies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:82d63a8b-42ff-4067-b225-710ad72ebf75Post:2d772a04-7110-4438-a2cb-d91e87f71f49">Re: Brownies :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Shan do you have a foodsaver?  I have shipped H cookies twice now in his care packages, and I vacuum seal them with my food saver, and then stick them in the freezer overnight before the post office.  He said they are still ridiculously fresh when they get there and are in great shape.  The one he just got took 2 weeks for him to get, and they were still really fresh.  If you don't have one, its a great item for a registry.  That's how we got ours.
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

My FI just graduated! Ahh! I should have googled something like this a year ago haha I always felt bad when he recieved squished or crumbled cookies/brownies. He said he liked them anyway, but then again what guy would turn down sweets lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards