Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Laser hair removal--bikini?

has anyone tried laser hair removal, esp. in the bikin area? i have sensitive skin and fiind the itching after waxing is so unpleasant that it might be worth it to pay the $$ for the laser. how long does it last? does it really remove all the hair? does it hurt less than electrolysis (which i have never done)?
(edited to correct my typos)

Re: Laser hair removal--bikini?

• Options
    I am in the process of getting it done now, I am also getting my underarms done. I am seeing progress but I will not know how it works until I am done all of the sessions. I have only gone 3 times. I think it will be worth it, I get really bad razor burn from shaving, so IMO it is worth the money. Plus if you are near an American Laser center, they are doing buy one get one free again. HTH!
  • Options

thanks B to B? do you know how many sessions it takes til you're "done"? hwo long do you have to wait in between sessions?

• Options
    I think its every 8 weeks and I think its maybe 6 or 7 treatments, so about a year. Doesnt hurt that much either. Too bad I am not further along, or done yet, so I could have a better answer for you. I think you should go for it if you can! :)
  • Options
    Jane - There are a lot of variables when it comes to the effects of laser hair removal. Lighter skin with darker, coarse hair is the best combination to see optimal results. Bikini areas tend to respond well.

It does hurt, but it is tolerable. I have never personally had electrolysis, but I have heard that it hurts more than laser. ( I have done laser hair removal in my bikini area). Take some tylenol about a half an hour before to help with the discomfort of the treatment. Also, avoid caffeine the day of your treatment, as it will make you more sensitive to the pain. Finally, if you are currently menstrating, it will also be more painful, due to increased sensitivity.

As far as how many treatments and how long in between, that also varies. It is usually 4 - 6 weeks in between treatments with an average of 4 - 6 treatments to achieve significant results. However, if you have lighter or finer hair, it will take more treatments because the hair is not as easy for the laser to target. Likewise, if you have darker skin, it will take longer because you have to be treated on lower settings to decrease risk of being burned (which can lead to hyper or hypopigmentation).

One last thing, If Bride_to_Be had a good experience with American Laser Centers that's great, but I would STRONGLY caution against going to them. I have a LOT of first hand experience at how terrible they can be. Just make sure to do your research before going somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards