Florida-North Florida

Beach Front House for Reception?

Hi everyone! My Fiance and I are getting married 4/23/2011. We just set the date over Christmas! We would like to rent a beach front house in the Florida Panhandle area, since his family lives around Baton Rouge, LA (only a 4 hour drive.) 
I have been doing some online research on vacation rentals at all the usual websites; i.e. vacationrentals.com, homeaway.com, vrbo.com, etc. We are planning to have about 15 total guests, and would like to hire an officiant and do everything else ourselves to save money. 
I am hoping to find a beach/gulf FRONT rental for around $3k-$4k for a full week, pay for $1k-$2k ourselves, and see if our guests will split the difference. This way everyone will get a CHEAP, week long, beach front vacation for around $400/couple. We will head off on our HM a day or two after the wedding, guests will be able to stay the full week :)
After we say our "I Dos" (right on the beach; in our rental's "backyard") we would like to have a party with a hired band to play for a few hours, and a causal surf and turf meal. This way everyone can mingle on the house's property, and the beach for the evening, think dancing and drinking, and having a blast! I am going with a casual, beachy, eclectic, vintage seaside feel.
I would like something like this:  http://serendipityontheshore.com/  
unfortunately this is too far south. Any ideas from brides that have done this in the panhandle area? Or any other recommendations? I just came up with this idea a few days ago... when I ran the numbers for cost of a wedding company's services for a beach ceremony, then a beach restaurant private room for the reception. It would cost so much more, and in my opinion, be less personal; a waste of money by comparison.
PLEASE HELP! I only have 113 days to plan!

Re: Beach Front House for Reception?

• cbabercbaber member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married in Destin, FL.
    I used VRBO to find my houses (I am renting 2 houses plus getting a block of rooms at the Holiday Inn & Suites).
    I am using Forever I Do for the ceremony - they provide several packages. The one I am getting includes JOP, flowers, music, and day-of coordinator . . plus I am getting chairs and an arbor/aisle runner from them. Ask for Stacey.
    I am using A La Carte catering (they are part of FudPuckers). They will do EVERYTHING as far as the food goes. Cook it, set it up, serve it - they even bring their own dishes. Ask for Tony and tell him Cathy (his Septemeber 2011 bride) sent you.
    I am using Beachside DJ (www.beachsidedj.com) - ask for Brent.
    Hope that helps.
  • edited December 2011
    I got married on the beach at this Santa Rosa house in October: http://www.vrbo.com/33002

It was gorgeous - we just used iTunes and a laptop, but I think you'd have plenty of room in the driveway for a band and dancing. 30A gets sleepy early, though, and your band would probably have to shut it down by 10. But it was perfect for us!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards