Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Jack and Jill vs. Stag and Doe...

What are each of these parties?  Are there different meanings for different regions?

I ask because FMIL mentioned in passing throwing us a Stag and Doe.  I had never heard of this and assumed it was a co-ed shower, which was what I also thought Jack and Jill was.  Now after reading these boards I'm worried both parties may be way more than a co-ed showers, and are actually fundraisers (which sound awful IMO).  So I figured before I panic and try to figure how to decline this party/shower, I should try to find out what really means.

Also, I thought mothers shouldn't host showers.  Am I wrong on this?

Re: Jack and Jill vs. Stag and Doe...

• Options
    "couples" shower just means it is a shower for couples, not a shower only couples can go to!  think about it:  at a bridal shower, are all the other guests brides?  NO.  the guest of honor is a bride (bridal shower) or a couple (couples shower).  like PP said, i'd be hurt and offended if i were excluded based on my relationship-- and a lack of common sense.
  • Options
    I always thought Jack and Jill were coed showers and stag and doe were coed bach/bachelorette parties

I had never heard of a friggin fundraiser before the knot.  It amazed me that this exists.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    Where I live (Ontario, Canada), stag and doe's are a completely normal and expected event, especially for younger couples getting married (I'm 22, my fiancé is 23).  Its a great excuse to get all of your friends and family together to celebrate your upcoming wedding and raise money for the big day.  A lot of people rent halls with DJs but we're choosing to have a BBQ and bonfire at my parent's house to keep costs down.  We're selling tickets for $10 in advance, $12 at the door with guests receiving a full BBQ meal.  People are donating prizes for raffles and we're doing a 50/50 draw.  Since its private property we can't sell alcohol so its BYOB and we're not profiting off of someone's alcoholism.  It seems like some people think that its tacky to have a wedding 'fundraiser' but the way I see it is people like to go out partying on a Saturday night and would rather their money go to a good cause rather than some bar!  Plus they can win prizes, and who doesn't love to win a good prize and help out some friends?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards