Second Weddings

Gift Ideas Needed for a Second Wedding

My husband's aunt is getting married for a second time in a few weeks.  We're stumped about what to get his aunt, who is established with her fiance, and buys the things she needs.  As background, for our wedding, all his aunts and uncles and cousins on that side of the family (a total of about 8) people got us a very small gift for our wedding.  I don't ever buy my aunt and uncle gifts, birthdays, Christmas, regardless.  I haven't had the opportunity to send a gift for a wedding for a couple who is clearly already set in their life.  Not to mention that money is tight and I really don't want to spend a lot (also because they really didn't get us anything).  I know I'm being selfish, so if you'd like to post about that, please don't. 

Gift card to Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Target?  I don't even think they've registered for gifts!  And the actual wedding is not formal in the slightest, so the whole get a gift for approximately how much they're spending on your seat at the table thing, just won't work.  Helpful ideas?

Re: Gift Ideas Needed for a Second Wedding

• Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd go with money or a gift card.   BB&B and Target are great, and so is Amazon.  Everyone can use an Amazon gift card.    Don't feel bad even if you can only afford $25.  It's the thought that counts.
    DSC_9275
  • blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As with a first or third wedding, for a second wedding just get the couple whatever you want to.
  • edited December 2011
    Are you asking for ideas for a gift?  Or support in skipping it altogether?

If you want to know if/where they've registered, ASK them.  If they are not registered, the gift cards you mentioned are fine.  As is a certificate to a restaurant for a meal out, a gift card for something they like to do (read, hike, camp, etc.) 

A wedding is different from a birthday, etc.  No one is obligated to send a gift, however it is customary.  If you were looking for someone to say, "Oh pshaw, its a second wedding, gifts are not indicated,"  you have the wrong board. 

As far as what they gave you...if they had given you a million dollars, would you feel that you had to reciprocate?  Give what you want to give, based on how close you feel to them and what you can afford.  Hold your head high, send them your best wishes and let it go. ~Donna
  • edited December 2011
    2nd time around is a good opportunity to give them something that's probably worn out since the first time around, lol.  Think sheets or towels, or something fun like a decent bottle of wine (and yes, 'decent' can be had for $20 or $30!) or a plastic popcorn tub with microwave popcorn, seasoning salt, fun napkins, and a movie rental gift certificate...Happy shopping!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi,

I saw your question and I wanted to throw out there an idea. I'm going on not knowing what you are willing to spend or what tastes the bride and groom have, but Scentsy is a great gift idea. There are these do-it-yourself warmers that you can get a theme pack for and decorate how  you wish, whether it be a print you think they would like, or perhaps their names and wedding date. It is simple and suits most tastes. There are also warmers that will match any decor that are already done; just put in a scent and they can enjoy it. Scent-wise, again, not knowing what their personal tastes are, but if a particular scent is enjoyed by both or can bring up a memory, Scentsy has over 80 scents to choose from. The best month to buy is this month. Almost everything is 10% off in order to get transitioned into the Fall/Winter Collection. As said, it is just an idea, and I hope you will consider it because it is a great product.

Sincerely,

Lindsey Bumpass, Independent Scentsy Consultant
    Email: lindseybumpass@yahoo.com
    Phone: 940-453-8757

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_gift-ideas-needed-second-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:e480e344-f11d-4fb4-8837-2bdca7753ef6Post:d9a26a2e-64e4-4206-ba91-cf7a0fcf7fc6">Re: Gift Ideas Needed for a Second Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, I saw your question and I wanted to throw out there an idea. I'm going on not knowing what you are willing to spend or what tastes the bride and groom have, but Scentsy is a great gift idea. There are these do-it-yourself warmers that you can get a theme pack for and decorate how  you wish, whether it be a print you think they would like, or perhaps their names and wedding date. It is simple and suits most tastes. There are also warmers that will match any decor that are already done; just put in a scent and they can enjoy it. Scent-wise, again, not knowing what their personal tastes are, but if a particular scent is enjoyed by both or can bring up a memory, Scentsy has over 80 scents to choose from. The best month to buy is this month. Almost everything is 10% off in order to get transitioned into the Fall/Winter Collection. As said, it is just an idea, and I hope you will consider it because it is a great product. Sincerely, Lindsey Bumpass, Independent Scentsy Consultant Website: lindseybumpass.scentsy.us Email: lindseybumpass@yahoo.com Phone: 940-453-8757
    Posted by Lin76210[/QUOTE]
    <strong>Reported Lin76210 - Vendors are not welcome to advertise here.
    </strong>
  • vexievexie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd stick with good old cash or a gift card and let them decide for themselves how to spend it.  We got married in June and got a few really thoughtful gifts (the best was a digital photo frame!) and the rest was cash or gift cards.  These were so great.  We pooled together some of the money and purchased larger items that we needed.
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_gift-ideas-needed-second-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:e480e344-f11d-4fb4-8837-2bdca7753ef6Post:25f5b632-78ca-490f-a62b-1e52d2952ee0">Re: Gift Ideas Needed for a Second Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd stick with good old cash or a gift card and let them decide for themselves how to spend it.  We got married in June and got a few really thoughtful gifts (the best was a digital photo frame!) and the rest was cash or gift cards.  These were so great.  We pooled together some of the money and purchased larger items that we needed.
    Posted by vexie[/QUOTE]

I'm totally on board with this.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards