Military Brides

Possibly changing my wedding date...help!

So my fiance (in the Navy) and I have been engaged for about 2 and a half years and are finally supposed to tie the knot on June 18, 2011, a date that his CO told him he would definitely be able to get off for.  Then he found out he had a two week training deployment that got back the morning of our wedding in Norfolk (10 hrs from where we're getting married).  His CO came up to him about two weeks ago and told him that he probably can't get off for our wedding and that when the leave papers go up to the captain, he is recommending that they get denied.  Recently the SO has apparently taken his side and is trying to help him get off for the wedding, but we're not sure what will happen.   As my fiance is on deployment until January, I can't even talk to him about it to see if they've been making any progress.  I'm holding off with all planning, but I've already booked almost everything!  What do I do? Should I notify all the vendors about a possible date change or wait til I hear back for certain?  What happens if they tell us it's fine and then at the last minute change it again?! ahh please help!  I'm stressing out!

Re: Possibly changing my wedding date...help!

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Would he be fine to get married the next weekend then, if he is getting back that day? 

I would call the vendors to get an idea.  Call your main ones, like ceremony and reception.  Just say due to military obligations, we may have to change our date.  Can you please tell me what Fridays and Saturdays are available in June and July (or whenever) if we do need to reschedule? 
    Then take the lists and compare them to find dates.  Thats what we did when we switched our date because we already knew the venues we wanted.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_possibly-changing-wedding-datehelp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:66cf66d2-e9c3-46da-af21-1e2349af8533Post:bbdf9407-c5bc-468f-8502-c72140fa76ab">Re: Possibly changing my wedding date...help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Would he be fine to get married the next weekend then, if he is getting back that day?  I would call the vendors to get an idea.  Call your main ones, like ceremony and reception.  Just say due to military obligations, we may have to change our date.  Can you please tell me what Fridays and Saturdays are available in June and July (or whenever) if we do need to reschedule?  Then take the lists and compare them to find dates.  Thats what we did when we switched our date because we already knew the venues we wanted.
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

Agree.
    No Amount Of Distance Can Seperate The HeartPhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!  Hopefully our date will work out.  I think the reception venue is booked for pretty much all Saturdays around our date, but maybe I'll check and see if they have a Friday available in case we need a backup. :)
    edited December 2011

Definitely consider Fridays.  We had a Friday wedding and loved it, and so many of our guests loved it too because you still have a full weekend ahead of you after.  And most places offer Friday discounts.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011

In your paper work with vendors did you get a military clause? that is what we have had to do. check and discuss with them if they could even possible enstate one retroactively.
    Good luck :)

As others have said, many vedors offer discounts on weekdays. My guy and I are getting married on a Tuesday morning (the only day that worked for his and his bestman/brother/also military guy's schedules). Despite the oddity of the date- we have recieved some suprising discounts.

Brittany and Matthew December 28 USAF- Proud Fianc? Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your advice everyone! My FI recently emailed me with very exciting news!!! His leave got approved so as of now we're getting married on track!!!!
    edited December 2011
    That's great to hear. Congrats!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards