Missouri-Kansas City
Options

Inexpensive Reception Locations?

I just got engaged over the weekend and I am super excited but kind of already feel overwhelmed! We are looking for reception locations for next Oct/ Nov 2010 and wow, they can be kinda pricey! Does anyone have ideas for inexpensive locations? Besides a church hall?

Thank you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Inexpensive Reception Locations?

• Options
    edited December 2011

Where are you looking and how many people?

Here are a few inexpensive ones that I can think of but they are all on the Kansas side.  I don't know of any on the Missouri side but I'm sure there are some.

Lenexa Conference Center
    Ball Conference Center
    Mahaffie House

HTH

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely depends on the area you're looking at and number of people.  If you're looking over in Jackson County, I can probably give you a few good leads, but I never looked anywhere on the KS side of town.  Let us know!

And congratulations!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    First off congrats and I understand feeling overwhelmed!

We are crossing our fingers for the Lenexa Conference Center but not until June 2011- they rent 1 year in advance. It holds up to 120...and it's affordable in my opinion. I do know from visiting there recently that they had 3 Saturday's left in 2010.
  • Options
    Jen72682Jen72682 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much! I totally thought getting married would be fun... But I think I am finding it to be slightly stressful. I think once I have a date and a church booked I will feel soo much better!!

The church we are looking at is in Kansas City, KS The Cathedral of St. Peter so really we can go Missouri or Kansas because it is pretty close to the border. We are looking at about 175 people. I found the Club House On Baltimore the Walnut Room for $43 per person + tax + gratuity. It includes open bar for 4 hrs of beer, wine, soda, buffet, dj, linens, china, cake cutter, candle centerpieces and setup/teardown. I guess when you add all the little things up, it sounds about right. But total it would be like $9,000 for a reception! Maybe I am cheap, but does this sound totally expensive to everyone else? I think I just have serious sticker shock!! I just am not sure I want to spend almost my entire budget on a reception! I dunno, what do you guys think?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, typically the bulk of the expense of a wedding IS the reception, if that makes you feel any better...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OH MY GOD i totally know what you're saying girl!! Our favorite place has been Californio's (in Westport) it's just so perfect and exactly what we want. They are 40-50 a person depending on how many people, and that also includes food/drink/tables, chairs and all of that. I can't justify spending that much, but if you think about it almost anywhere you go is going to be that much, you just would pay everything seperately instead of all togther like Clubhouse and Californios.

I think Clubhouse sounds like it's a good deal and I've heard wonderful things about it. And that it includes a DJ, that's really nice. DJ's are one thing I was pretty shocked about in regards to price :)  I've actually never looked at the Clubhouse, maybe I will now :) 

Another place I've never looked at but heard great things about it The Mission Theatre.

Congrats and good luck!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I feel your pain - I had some major sticker shock when I started seeing some of these numbers too.  But, like PP said, the bulk of your expense likely will be the reception.  Whether or not the Clubhouse is a good deal really depends on what you want for your wedding.
  • Options
    Jen72682Jen72682 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for everyone's help and support! It definitely will give me something to think about. I am going to look at The Clubhouse on Baltimore on Saturday... so we shall see!!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been to a wedding and toured the Clubhouse on Baltimore.  It is really nice and the all inclusive price is nice for the number of guests we had we would have had to use more then one room so it wasn't worth it for us.  The wedding and receptoin that I went to there was really pretty and it was a lot of fun.
  • Options
    sarabeth14sarabeth14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having our reception at the Matt Ross Community Center at 80th and Metcalf in Overland Park, and it's not that expensive. You bring in your own food and alcohol, they don't have a caterer there. It's actually really nice, too. I think it was just built a few years ago. You could also look into other cities' community centers. My cousin had her reception at the Merriam Community Center a few years ago.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Old Shawnee Town might be a possibility.

Also, I think there is a community center in Lenexa.

Matt Ross CC really is very pretty and a nice facility.
  • Options
    kissamarykissamary member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we went to the Clubhouse on Baltimore and I hated it!  It smelled like a nursing home and wasn't much for the price.  I think Californo's might be your best bet because the their price per person includes tax AND gratuity!  Do not forget to factor those two things into your prices as well.  We are getting married at The Elms.  It sounds cheap, 7000 minimum on food and drink with no rental cost, but when you factor in tax and gratuity on 7000 it is nearly 2500 extra dollars on top of the original price.  We've almost doubled our budget and we are only planning on 120 people!
  • Options
    HammysGirlHammysGirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome & Congratulations!!!

There is DEFINITELY sticker shock when it comes to the reception - I think we can all feel your pain!! hehe What kind of a budget are you wanting to stick to? A wedding I was in last year had a $10K budget for the entire wedding. They had a decent sized reception catered by Hyvee and held at a VFW for about 250-300 people and were still able to stay under budget. Have you thought about doing outdoors anywhere also? Or the places that combine ceremony & reception?

Good luck in your search!
  • Options
    steffydollysteffydolly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our reception at Adam's Pointe Golf Club in Blue Springs right off the highway. I definitely experienced the sticker shock myself when planning - but after reading this thread I am confident that we found the best (and least expensive place). Simply put, our reception (food, linens, clean up, beer, etc.) for 100 people (though they can facilitate up to 150) will be less than 3000. You certainly can't beat that on the Missouri side!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hear you about being stressed out when it comes to finding a location!!  We looked at so many venues and I would come home every time and cry!  We finally decided to suck it up and spend a little more then we initially anticipated, but only because we both fell in love with our venue.  Trust me--the engagement and planning process becomes so much more enjoyable once you get the locations figured out!  I'm to a point where nothing else can be done right now and I feel like I'm in planning withdrawal because I've been having so much fun w/ it!  However, I would NEVER go back to the first month and trying to find a venue!

Good luck and congrats! =)
    Sarah & Craig
    My Planning Bio: http://sarahandcraig.weebly.com/
    My Married Bio: http://craigandsarahsides.weebly.com/
  • Options
    StephB1185StephB1185 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand girl!  We are going to look at Mission Theater in Mission, KS in a couple weekends and I'm just praying they still have some availability!!
    Also look into Gamber Center in Lee's Summit - very nice!
    "Diversity is the key to life, without it we would be a mindless drone of a single colored spectrum."
  • Options
    Jen72682Jen72682 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for all your comments and suggestions! I greatly appreciate it! So we went to the Clubhouse on Baltimore the weekend. And right off the bat it took us 30 minutes to find parking! There basically was none! Garages were full,etc. So we ended up calling them and we had to park in a handcap spot leaving our flashers on. Before we even stepped inside I was worried about this being a total DISASTER!! If we have problems with 1 car and parking how the heck can we worry about 200 people parking? My fiance was worried the entire time about someone towing his car! Their solution was we have to rent a parking lot 3 or 4 blocks away or have people worry about it on their own... I was not too thrilled with that answer.

So we went and took the tour, it was nice. But, I was not crazy about it. It just totally didn't have the right "feel." Another friend of mine getting married suggested I go to ProjectWedding.com and look up the reviews. They had like 6 or 7 bad reviews that all said the same thing.... People where responsive trying to get you to sign the contract, afterwards they are very non-responsive. After that comment that made me soo nervous to have it there. So Clubhouse is out for us!!

Oh my gosh finding a venue is totally emotionally draining! I can't wait to have a place and sign a contract just so I can get it overwith! I probably sound like a bridezilla but I just want someplace nice that won't bankrupt me! 
  • Options
    StephB1185StephB1185 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jen - I totally understand your nervousness/anxiousness!  I'm planning from STL - and I have an appt with ONE venue at the beginning of May.  It looks great, includes DJ and bar (big ticket items) and seems really cool - I've sort of put all of my eggs in its basket.  If it doesn't work, I have to wait until the next time I can get to KC to find a venue.. no fun! 
    Just take a deep breath, it WILL work!
    "Diversity is the key to life, without it we would be a mindless drone of a single colored spectrum."
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We just had a reception was at the Clubhouse on Baltimore last weekend. We started with a basic package that is mentioned and upgraded. We found Lori at the CoB to be great to work with---the venue beautiful and the parking wasn't a problem as we reserved some places at a nearby lot.

We found everything they provided to be of good quality and value, including the DJ, bar, and the food.  

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out the arts incubator, it is really in expensive and cool loft/art gallery feel. they will let you have what ever vendors you want.
  • Options
    mikeysmom07mikeysmom07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you can try the Emaline Ballroom in Lee's Summit, I didnt think they were to bad on the price
  • Options
    klamfersklamfers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Look at Sudio B- it is a lot like Art Incubator.  It is an open venue and you can bring in own alcohol and catering.  Good luck!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hi! i suggest the ballet conservatory and cotillion room. they are in independence. i don't know if thats too far for you, but they are about 3000, and they include dj, setup and breakdown, chocolate fountain and its a ceremony and reception site. this is where i'm having mine at. good luck to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards