California-Bay Area

Affordable Cake in East Bay

Hi everyone! Getting married in Oakland, looking for an affordable cake for 175 guests. Hoping to stay under $600... not sure how realistic that is, but I'd love to try! =) Any suggestions?

Re: Affordable Cake in East Bay

• GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your best bet is to do a smaller cake for presentation and have sheet cake in the back.  The cheapest I saw were about $5.00 per slice.  But maybe others know... I know I've seen some other posts on this board about cheap cake if you go far enough back.
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Are you okay with a buttercream cake instead of fondant?

If so, try Bev Tanaka (http://www.cakecreationsbybev.com/). Her cakes are $3 a slice. Her stuff isn't fancy, but it tastes good, and she's a super nice lady. I think you get a good deal for the price, and you're going to eat it anyway.
  • kcollins11kcollins11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cascade Cakes in Tracy! Anne makes beautiful cakes, and she charges only $3 per slice. That includes fondant if you want it, and most decorations (including sugar flowers, ribbons, etc.) You can see a few pictures on the website. Not sure if she will travel to Oakland, but it's worth a shot. The cake tastes great too!
    Sept. 2011 August Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    St. Lucia!!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • amwot8amwot8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sugarbowl Bakery! We absolutely loved our cake and it was under $900 for a 4 tier cake and 2 half sheets (we had 335 guests).
    also, used buttercream instead of fondant which was fine. got lots of compliments on my cake.

• edited December 2011
    Consider doing a 3-tier cake for 75 and a sheet cake for 100.  We got ours for $710 total from Margaret's French Bakery and it will be beautiful.  I'd suggest finding a baker in Oakland though because the travel fees can add up.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the recs... I'll contact each of them for quotes. At least I know there's hope out there! haha!
  • smashleyd12smashleyd12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Let em eat cake in Livermore, about 3.50 a slice
  • edited December 2011
    If it's not to late, try Cake Delight in Livermore. We are getting a 3 tier plus 1 sheet for just over $700, and her cakes are amazing!!
    Anniversary
  • Bonzo2011Bonzo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your Happy Baker in Stockton
    http://yourhappybaker.blogspot.com/search/label/Weddings

She's my fiance's cousin, and does great cakes and cupcakes. She's having her first baby in the summer, but if the date on your profile is correct and you're getting married in September, she should be taking cake orders again.

All this talk of cake always makes me want to eat one!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards