Moms and Maids
Options

Gifts for parents?

Is it typical to get a gift for the parents of the bride to give to them at the rehearsal dinner? My parents are paying for the wedding, so I thought it would be nice to get them something -- just wondering if it's customary. Anyone have any ideas for types of gifts? FI and I are on a tight budget, but I was hoping to get something small and nice. Hm... a puppy? Haha j/k. 

Re: Gifts for parents?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    First of all, I am not sure about the whole being customary part. I think the whole buying of parents presents thing came from the wedding industry in recent years.

We paid for our wedding ourselves and were pretty much out of money when it came time to buying our parents gifts. Besides, my MIL told me specifically not to get them anything. I will admit, I did feel bad about not getting them anything, but H and just brought both sets of parents back from our HM so we didn't feel so bad. And they really liked it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it is fairly customary, particularly when the parents are paying.  My wedding is the weekend after Thanksgiving, so I will be getting an engraved Christmas ornament with a "thanks for being so awesome" kind of message.  Other than that, I'll probably get them a giftcard to their favorite restaurant or something.

If you are running low on cash, focus on the sentimental.  Give them a framed picture or some kind of keepsake.
  • Options
    AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The WP I was recently in the Bride and Groom gave a digital picture frame to each set of parents. I made their slideshow and they ask if I wouldn't mind scanning some more of their family pictures and put it on a SD card that went into digital picture frame. I didn't mind and when all was said and down the parents loved it and specially loved that many of their pictures were already scanned so it was easy for them to setup.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_gifts-parents-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:6e180cc0-47a3-4e88-bed3-aaa386910a26Post:8cae58ba-94ef-4542-b54d-24b9278aa954">Re: Gifts for parents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The WP I was recently in the Bride and Groom gave a digital picture frame to each set of parents. I made their slideshow and they ask if I wouldn't mind scanning some more of their family pictures and put it on a SD card that went into digital picture frame. I didn't mind and when all was said and down the parents loved it and specially loved that many of their pictures were already scanned so it was easy for them to setup.
    Posted by AutumnFair[/QUOTE]

This is what we got!!!!  And we love it  :)
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I are paying for our wedding ourselves. My parents hosted the Engagement dinner/meeting of the family and his parents are hosting the RD.
    I was thinking of just getting them each a coffee table wedding book after the wedding.
  • Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Traditionally, the bride's parents receive a photo album with pics of the wedding, including pics of the bride's extended family.

The groom's parents receive a smaller photo album with some pics of the bride/groom and pics of the groom's extended family.
  • Options
    orangejuliusorangejulius member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think gifts for parents are a nice gesture, whether they're paying or not. When I give my parent's a gift it will not only be a thank you for anything they have financially contributed, but also a thank you for raising me/supporting me/being there for me up until this new chapter in my life. The same for the groom's parents. But I think it depends on your personal relationship with your parents. Even a nice letter telling them how much you appreciate them would be nice if you're running low on funds.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mom and stepdad got a gift certificate to their favorite hotel, Dad got a Southwest Airlines gift card, FIL and SMIL got a gift card to their favorite restaurant.  We're saving the wedding photo albums for Christmas gifts.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards