Catholic Weddings

Question from a non-Catholic

I am Lutheran (elca if it matters) and FI was raised Catholic.  He doesn't practice now and doesn't recieve communion when he does go.  I know that since the wedding will be at my church and not in a Catholic church with a priest our marriage won't be recognized with the Catholic church and he won't be able to recieve in the future.  This bothered me for a while but we have talked about it and he's fine with it since I'm the more religious of the two of us. If in the future something changes and he does want it recognized, would I need to convert in order to get a convalidation?  There are some things with the catholic church I don't agree with but I'd be willing to at least explore the idea of converting if he asked me to in order to resume recieving sacraments.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Question from a non-Catholic

• edited December 2011
    Nope. There is no coversion necessary to marry (or have a convalidation) in the Catholic Church. It is a popular myth based on old Church rules. You would, however, have to go through some form of Marriage Prep, according to what is required by his priest/diocese, and what is required for convalidations.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your wedding can still be in your church and be  recognized by the Catholic church though if you are interested. You just inquire about it with a priest and he'll help you with the process.
  • CFM102012CFM102012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had thought about seeing if a local priest would be willing to co-officiate but my mother mentioned it to our pastor.  She said that if there was any Catholic involvement it would have to be in a Catholic church and she would be the subordinate.  Could that be a diocese thing?
  • MuddyInsigniaMuddyInsignia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just got married a few weeks ago in my (Episcopalian) church. My husband is a very observant RC. We had a RC priest co-officiate with my priest and it was a valid blessing of the marriage for both churches. We did have to get a dispensation from the Catholic bishop to do so--but it was pretty much an automatic thing, and very easy. Yes, every diocese is different, but I would recommend you talk to a Catholic priest about it (not just your mom).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The priest may or may not have to "co-officiate". 

The idea here is that you get a "dispensation from form" so you don't have to follow the canonical form of marriage.
  • edited December 2011
    If you are interested in this, you should really talk to your fi's priest. Your mom or pastor are both likely to be misinformed, based on the rumors that persist about Roman Catholic weddings. Yes, you need a dispensation, but his may not be a big deal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • CFM102012CFM102012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the help ladies.  FI is originally from the Pittsburgh area and my church is in western Ohio so it'd probably be a different diocese.  I don't actually know any Priests in my area but I can probably ask around for a contact.  While he doesn't seem to mind not having a Catholic presence, I'm sure his Mom and aunts will appreciate it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards