Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress color has thrown everything off!

So I just got my dress. I fell in love with the light gold color that Maggie Sottero has. Going into dress shopping my colors were going to be Navy and bright Pink. Now I am not sure what to do about colors. My FH really wants the navy, and I have to have the pink so it was a great compromise. I don't know now what to match the guys with. My girls are going to be in pink dresses, but what colors can I now do for the guys? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: Dress color has thrown everything off!

• How do you feel about navy tuxes for the guys?  Maybe with pink buttoniers or hankerchiefs?
  • navy and pink would work great! I've seen navy blue ties with pink stripes on it. You could probably pull that off.
  • Do you think that Navy will look strange with the light gold dress?
  • You're going to drive yourself insane if you try to make everything "match." A better word to start using would be "coordinate" - when you coordinate things, you just need to be sure that they go together. This is where neutral colors are your friends ... neutral colors will coordinate with just about anything, so you don't need to go nuts trying to match everything. And neutral colors do not need to be added to your overall color scheme, so you are not limited to JUST navy and pink in your attire and decor.

Gold is a neutral color, so that will coordinate with anything. So don't worry about your own dress. The most important part is that it flatters YOU. You will not be standing next to your BMs, GMs, table linens or even FI for the entire night.

Your groomsmen's attire should be up to your FI. (But I'll assume that he's asked for help.)

Black is also a neutral color, so black tuxes/suits will coordinate with any color BM dress. Look for the red carpet photos from the Oscars and Emmys (try imdb.com and celeb magazine websites) ... pretty much every man wears a black tux, regardless of what color his date is wearing, and they usually look fab together. So if you have the groomsmen in black tuxes/suits, you will not go wrong. Their vest and tie color can be black, silver, a subtle gold or champagne. Navy vests and ties usually look good under black tuxes as well. Black tuxes and suits are classic, classy and will never go out of style.

If you're having a less formal wedding, you could also do tan suits. Navy suits might also work, or navy blazers with khaki pants and white shirts, but you don't HAVE to do navy for the men just because the women are in navy. And check out the colors of the dresses and suits next to each other, because not every shade of navy is the same. And all that matchy-matchy mentality would be for naught if the two navy colors look crappy together.

• At no other dinner party are the guests of honor expected to match each other or the decor.  Why is a wedding any different?

If you were wearing white, would you be trying to tie white into your color scheme?  Probably not.  Just stick with your original plans, there's no need for it to have thrown anything off.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Thanks all for the helpful suggestions. Obviously this is an important detail to me and something I wanted to look into! I don't want to tie in the gold color into the color scheme, I just wanted ideas on a suit/tux ideas that matches the color scheme and won't clash with the dress. The photos last a lifetime! 
  • akd0315akd0315 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for all those links.. I didn't even think of looking there! I got the Coco. Your dress is beautiful!! 
  • I wore a light gold Maggie Dress, but in pictures it just looked  ivory.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  If  you look awesome in the dress, that is what matters.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards