Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

iPod help please :)

My fiance and I really want to pick our whole playlist for our reception...has anyone used an iPod for their reception?  Any ideas?  Did it work alright??  Thanks so much for your help!!

Re: iPod help please :)

• ltoraasonltoraason member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have the same idea...I've started my playlists for the causal barbecue dinner and the dance...Now I've just got to figure out how to make it work. I'm going to keep checking on this post for help. I'm cutting costs where I can...I think its ridiculous to hire a DJ to play what they like for $600+ and only for 3 hours!
  • AutumnLovelyAutumnLovely member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't do an iPod.  I've see this play out and it's crazy.  You will have to have someone manage the volume and people will want to choose songs so then they will have to find the song and change it, making a gap in the music.  Not to mention that one of your guests or someone in the bridal party will have to take time to deal with this instead of enjoying the wedding.  Also a DJ will make all the announcements and keeps the pacing of the wedding, I've been to a lot of weddings where you didn't know what was going on and everything took longer than it should, then there wasn't enough time do dance at the end, that's when people start to leave early. 

We are using www.premiermusic.com - they did my cousins wedding and her friends as well.  They book out DJs in all 50 states.  The pricing is the same no matter where you are, last time I checked.  We're paying $425 for 3 hours.

Also you can make your own playlist.  They sign you up with a "client are" that is private to you, you get a password.  Then you can make your playlist or do not playlist, they also have planning forms and timeline forms.  We are doing all our planning on there.   
  • ilneigeilneige member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the poster above me is a vendor for that website.  They only have two posts, and in one they say that they did use that DJ company (past tense), and here they say that they are going to in the future. 

My best friend used an iPod for her wedding.  There were no strange gaps in the music that I noticed, and no one was insisting on changing the song to skip around.  I think people will respect that the songs that are playing are ones that you wanted to hear.  There was plenty of time for dancing and we all had a great time.  Come August, we'll be using an iPod for our reception too. 
  • nmhollingernmhollinger member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing an iPod at my reception.  My FI and I are picking out all kind of lovey dovey songs we want to play and are just going to put it on shuffle.  No one in our family or in our group of friends really enjoy dancing, though, so we don't have to worry about that.

As for our first song, father/bride, mother/groom dances, we're not putting them on the play list that we'll be putting on shuffle.  We'll be keeping them seperate and have someone go up to announce those dances.
  • Kerry9703Kerry9703 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Laptops are the same concept but a lot of times will give you easier control! :) that's what we are trying... so I guess we'll see!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • dcedelsdcedels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are actually doing an Ipod and having someone who is not invited to the wedding (but is an aquaintence (sp?) of ours) MC the whole night. He is also renting the sound equipment. He is a really good friend of one of my friends and has done this before. I asked someone how he was just so I can have assurance and they said he was great! Very focused and took it seriously. so we are excited about it  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards