Christian Weddings
Options

Book recs for new relationship??

I have a friend who is just starting to date someone. She's never dated before, but is of the maturity level where this could be her first and only relationship, obviously we'll have to wait and see on that one, don't want to get ahead of ourselves.

Do you have any books to reccomend? Or anything else that was particularly helpful for you at that stage?Most of the Christian books I've seen on relationship are either "Stay pure" (which is great, but purity's not the only goal in relationships) or "Things to work on while your prepare for marriage."

Re: Book recs for new relationship??

• Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    "For Women Only" and "For Men Only."  I know FWO is by Shaunti Feldhahn.  FMO is by her husband. 

Also..."Single Men Are Like Waffles, Single Women Are Like Spaghetti" by Bill & Pam Ferrel is much better for singles and dating couples than the book without "Single...Single" in the title.

Both are Christian books.  FWO does have a chapter about the physical aspect of a relationship, but she can decide if she wants to read that portion or not. 

Both made me go, "Oh, that's why FI/my brothers/the guys in Sunday School do/say/react to ______"

~Emily
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "Boy Meets Girl" by Joshus Harris.  It's a GREAT book for people who are entering into a serious dating relationship, and for people looking for Biblical Inspiration on finding their "one and only" person. 

"Every Woman's Battle" is also really good. (Shannon Etheridge, I think)

"Secrets of an Irresistible Woman" by Michelle McKinney Hammond - It is great for self-reflection and becoming the woman God wants us to be. 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Make sure that both of the people in the relationship are into that kind of study - especially early on.  My FI pretty much refuses to do any sort of devotion or dating book that is not the Bible itself.  He thinks those types of books are cheasy/meant to make money/over-generalize people/etc.  When I told him we would likely have to go through one of those books for our pre-marital counseling, he groaned and said "do we HAVE to do it?"  Lol.  Not saying that I totally agree with FI on this one, because I tend to like those books, but not all guys are into it.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Redefining Beautiful by Jenna Lucado is a great one! The author is the daughter of Max Lucado. I read this book before I met my fiance but I think it will still be a great one for her situation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Every Woman's Battle.

Depending on how young they are, I really like www.boundless.org
    I find it has a lot of good resources in general. It might even help for her to just flip through some of their articles (which are all pretty short) to get an idea.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Even thought it's more of a teen book, Dateble by Justin Lookado is an excellent book.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, thanks ladies, that's really helpful. I can't practically check out all those books, but boundless.org looks really great, and I'm sure at least one of those books will be useful.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out "101 Questions to ask Before you Get Engaged".... hopefully the title doesn't freak her and her new guy out ;) Its a book full of questions and topics that many couples never think about before they get serious in a relationship. My FI and I started this book about 6 months before he proposed, and it was nice just to take our relationship to the next level, know where we stood in certain areas, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards