October 2012 Weddings

Lots of news (LONG)...

Hi Oct 2012 Friends...

I've been MIA for the past few days, but I just wanted to give an update on what's been going on.

Last time I posted, I was telling ou guys that my dress came in and that I was looking for a day of coordinator.  

Last Thurs I talked to DOC 3 of 3...she's the one that I thought was going to be the most expensive and I almost didn't contact her because of this.  DOC #1 I didn't like at all, she didn't seem professional and our personalities didn't seem to click over the phone.  She was priced at $1,500 (which I later found out she's extremely over priced for the little that she does compared to others).  DOC #2 was very nice, but almost a little too hyper.  I know that would not help me relax on the big day.  She was priced at $1,750.  DOC #3 has a fantastic reputation (she coordinated our photographer's wedding a few years ago) so I assumed she would be the most $$$.  She didn't send me a price quote before our phone call, and we didn't talk price until the end of the conversation.  Based on everything that she does, I thought she would be at least $2,000.  BUT, she quoted me $1,400!!!!  Needless to say, we're going with her!  

My dress came in on Wed, so I was planning on going back to my hometown this weekend to try it on.  My mom, cousin, and myself went to the dress shop Sat morning, and it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!  The buttons that I added down the back look amazing and they are lace covered (we weren't sure if the company did lace or satin buttons) which are gorgeous!  The dress fits PERFECT except for the length (I didn't do a custom length because I don't have shoes yet) and in the chest (I have no boobs LOL).  It seriously looks like the dress was custom made for my body!  I can't post pictures because they are on my cousin's camera, but I'll have her send them to me and post them soon.

We also met with the DOC after we finished at the dress shop.  I wanted to meet her in person before we made the decision, and she was just as wonderful (if not more) in person as on the phone. I'll be mailing in the deposit this week!

So, that's all of my happy news.  Now on to the not so happy....

My grandfather is not doing well at all.  He was diagnosed with Alzheimers 12 years ago and has been in a nursing home for the last 5 years.  My mom got a call late Thurs night from the nursing home to come right away.  FI and I were planning on going home on Sat, but we left Fri instead.  My grandfather looks comfortable and at peace, but his left lung is totally gone (no breath sounds on the left side).  Surprisingly, he's more alert now than he has been for years.  I know that some Alzheimers patients become more lucid toward the end, so maybe that's what's happening.  My mom hasn't really slept in days and although I'm back in Rochester, I'm not exactly focused at work.  I think thinking about the wedding is what's keeping my mom going right now.  I almost canceled my wedding-related appointments on Sat, but I'm glad that I didn't because both my mom and I needed to have a few hours of thinking about happier times.  I think this is going to be a long, difficult week for my family so tthoughts, prayers, positive energy, etc would be appreciated right now.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Lots of news (LONG)...

• I am glad to hear that you found someone that you liked and that you are happy with the way your dress turned out.

I am sorry that you grandpa isn't doing well.  Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Sorry to hear about your grandfather. That must be hard.

But yay for the DOC and dress!
    Anniversary
  • Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.  Congrats on the dress and DOC :)
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • Congrats on the check and on your dress!

Sorry to hear about your grandpa, T&P to you and your family!
  • Congrats on all of the checks, that is exciting about the DOC! And lace covered buttons sound beautiful, by the way.

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandfather as well. Hopefully he is not suffering as much and you and your family can get some alert time with him, which I am sure is a nice thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards