Kentucky-Louisville
Options

Ceremony / Reception Locations - Also dress question re BW

Hi All,

I have been reading through the message boards, and everyone looks so helpful so I just couldnt help myself.

I am not currently in the US, however, will be getting married in Louisville, KY in 2012-2013. I know, I know, we havent set a date yet, but there are too many things we have to sort out first (moving there permanently, for starters). But, being me, I want to at least start the ball rolling.

We will be having a very small wedding, probably around 50-60 people. I'm not sure an outdoor wedding in June is the best idea, probably indoor with air con, but I do like the idea of outdoors. I have been looking at all the places people have suggested in the boards such as Glassworks, which I like, and the 'historic houses', and I like the Science Center, and the Frazier Internation History Museum... I'm looking for a place that is beautiful enough that I dont need to do too much, if anything in way of decoration. The cheaper the better.

I also really like the idea of using a hotel - The Galt House, 21c, The Brown Hotel... I know they are expensive, but they include everything, so I'm trying to weigh up which would be cheaper and convenient in the long run.

About the wedding, neither of us are religious, it wont be too traditional, and the cheaper for every option is probably what we'll choose.

Also, last question (sorry, and thank you for reading this far), I've been reading loads of bad reviews about Bridal Warehouse. I found a Mori Lee dress online that I absolutely adore, and was so shocked to see it was only $600 on BW's website - I have been watching too much Say Yes to the Dress and was expecting more than a couple grand. But I've seen so many bad reviews about BW, and good reviews about Rebecca's - does anyone know if the price is so drastically good at BW that its worth the bad service, or should I pay more and go to Rebecca's?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer :-)

Re: Ceremony / Reception Locations - Also dress question re BW

• Options
    ZachandMereZachandMere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!  I got married 3 weeks ago and did a lot of research before selecting my vendors.  As for a location, if you aren't going to do a religious ceremony, we did our ceremony and reception at Owl Creek Country Club in Anchorage.  There are a few other places to do weddings out there like Shall We Dance studio that are not religiously affiliated and on the cheap.  Our venue was free because we are members and the food (2 carving stations, potato bar, etc.) was $29 per plate (that included gratuity and tax).  So there are a few ideas...

As for Bridal Warehouse...  I was fully prepared to have a bad experience there and was not expecting to purchase a dress, however...  I got placed with Tiffanie and after the third dress I tried on I was sold.  I went for a trumpet/fit-and-flare style for $700.  I think that while it's not the most plush bridal store, Tiffanie really helped me by not being overbearing or not there at all.  She was a happy medium.  They also altered my dress and added a bustle.  Every time I went, I had no issues and received efficient service.  I did look at David's Bridal before purchasing my gown, but was very disappointed and put off by their services.  My "shopper" was pushy and went so far as to tell me I needed Spanx (I'm a size 0-2). 

Let us know if you need anything else as the days pass and you get closer to your wedding!
  • Options
    kristenleeskristenlees member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much, I will look in to your location, sounds great!

Did you go to the Louisville BW or the Elizabethtown one? I have read better things on here about the Elizabethtown store.
  • Options
    ZachandMereZachandMere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to the Louisville one.  I had low expectations before going so I wasn't all hyped up about how amazing it was going to be.  It was fine, served it's purpose, and I got a good price on a gorgeous dress. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I really like the green building for a small wedding. I inquired for my own wedding, but I had too many guests. Their prices are really reasonable. It holds about 75 people in both their courtyard and the gallery. If you look at the photographer Todd Pellowe's blog he has a wedding featured that was at the green building.

I didn't go to BW so I can't review that, but I had a wonderful experience at Bridal and Formal in Cincinatti. I know they will also price match if you know it is cheaper at another place.  I also went to the Bridal Suite of Louisville. I didn't find a dress there, but they were really great.

• Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think Mori Lee has pretty standard pricing from one place to the next, so I'm not sure if BW will result in a huge discount, but you can certainly call Rebecca's and ask their price on a particular dress.  Personally, I was so put out by the BW experience I'd probably be willing to pay a little more to go elsewhere - whether that's Rebecca's or not would remain to be seen, of course. 

In terms of venues, I think you probably need to take a trip to the 'ville and check things out.  There are tons of great places, but it still boils down to what you love.  Any chance you can visit sometime soon?
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    kristenleeskristenlees member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone.

I've been to Louisville many times, but never looked at the venues. I'll be there in March, so guess I'll just go around and look everywhere :-)

Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am a BW bride. Like everyone else has stated, that was the last place I expected to find a dress.  I also had Tiffanie and I loved her.  She let me sort thru the racks and pull about 6 that I liked. My future sister in law/MOH went in with me to dress because that was my preference.  I'm not gonna lie at first I was disappointed because I too, watch Say Yes to the Dress and I didn't get that atmosphere from BW.  But after going to places that did offer a similar atmosphere, I realized how much I appreciated the way things worked at BW. Tiffanie went as far as to tell me when the dress was going on sale, so that is going to save me about two hundred bucks. I currently live out of town and was in Louisville for a two week time spand.  During that time I went to just about every bridal store (BW being first), and I kept coming back.  I would compare other dresses to the one there, and brought several different family members at several different times.  Tiffanie was very patient and assisted me EVERY time. Even if she had another appointment shed still find time to check on me. Idk. If youre a person that needs alot of reassurance and opinions, go somewhere like Rebeccas or Blackstones.  If you want a laid back atmosphere BW is definitely it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards