Destination Weddings Discussions

Has anyone used this site for a TA?

Ina  previous post  someone rec. destinationweddings.com. After looking at it it seems like a really good way to book .
I am worried about booking online rather than with a TA that I can sit down with.

Has anyone else booked with this company or something similar?
What are your opinions on booking online vs a local TA

Re: Has anyone used this site for a TA?

• I am using them and they are great with me.  Some knotties have had bad experiences with destinationweddings.com, but most recently, they have done a great job.  My TA with them is so helpful and gives me plenty of information.

Beachbumvacations is a great one, that a lot of knotties use too, and they also say they do a great job. 
    imageExerciseMilestone Anniversary
  • I'm so glad you asked this question fussybunny because I've been wondering the same thing after discovering that site last week!

Meghan, if you don't mind me asking, is there a fee to use destinationweddings.com or are they like a TA who get paid by the resorts, airline etc?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_anyone-used-this-ta?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:54Discussion:6c373929-a597-4418-9258-0e393a48c86aPost:690f98be-9076-461d-b83f-47c382b5ced2">Re: Has anyone used this site for a TA?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so glad you asked this question fussybunny because I've been wondering the same thing after discovering that site last week! Meghan, if you don't mind me asking, is there a fee to use destinationweddings.com or are they like a TA who get paid by the resorts, airline etc?
    Posted by Spazdoodles[/QUOTE]
    From what I can see the only "fee" is $50 that is applied to your booking in the end. But I think there are prob hidden fee's in their pricing. You'll never really know but I think its the same with most TA's.
  • Yea, fussybunny is right the travel agents get paid by the resorts.  You pay $50 but it goes to your travel costs etc.  There is actually no hidden fees.  They will match any price that they quote you.  So, if you were to find a better deal on expedia, travelocity, etc... They will match it. 
    imageExerciseMilestone Anniversary
  • I am also using them and have had no problems so far.  There are no hidden fees, just the original $50 to join, which later goes towards your trip.  They are TA, so they get paid as one through the resort/airlines.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Have been working with them for about a month. It's been ok so far.

Compare them with beachbum and see which works best for you.

Good luck!
  • I am using BeachBum and love them.  I work with Jaimi.  She has been nothing but wonderful. 

Also, for what it's worth, BeachBum does not charge anything up front or on top of your travel costs. 
  • I'm using them right now and I had to request a new TA bc the original guy was horrible and did nothing for us.

We have a new one and we are about to leave in 10 days and we are still having issues with payments and communications! I'm a bit freaked out right now since all of this should have been resolved a month ago, but it seems that things continue to pop up with no notice. Both of us work during the day, so its not always easy to schedule to do a conference call during the day or play email tag all day.

Please be aware that they are NOT a wedding planner, just a travel agent. I still had to use a wedding planner who wasn't at the resort and now I have to pray that the one I get at the resort will follow through, which makes me a bit nervous. I'm not have an over the top wedding by all means, but I want to know that my dinner reservations and ceremony are reserved without any surprises.

I would be extremely careful. If I had known that they were not a wedding planner, but just a travel agent, then maybe my expectations would have been better. I still had to keep myself on target and arrange calls to make sure everything was getting booked and arranged.

• In Response to <a href="http://destination.weddings.com/main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_anyone-used-this-ta?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:54Discussion:6c373929-a597-4418-9258-0e393a48c86aPost:80f439fd-74b2-4497-8a23-26342841c53b">Re: Has anyone used this site for a TA?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yea, fussybunny is right the travel agents get paid by the resorts.  You pay $50 but it goes to your travel costs etc.  There is actually no hidden fees.  They will match any price that they quote you.  So, if you were to find a better deal on expedia, travelocity, etc... They will match it. 
    Posted by Meghangh[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Do you know if that is still the case if you do a group rate and people book at different times? For example, the Palace Resorts require a minimum number of rooms in the group rate in order to qualify for their wedding specials. My TA is saying that once we lock in our rate we are stuck even if people can find lower rates elsewhere. Just don't want  people to book through our TA only to feel screwed if it comes out that they paid too much.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards