Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Ideas for a Weekend Honeymoon in WA

A little background: My fiance and I have been together for nearly 7 years and after many twists and turns in life we are ecstatic to finally get married this fall. We have been living mostly across the country from each other for the last 2 years due to work and have recently moved out to Washington state where my fiance has been hired on full time by the state park service. While we are grateful, this also means that our plans for a traditional week-long honeymoon after the wedding will have to be altered as he will be in law enforcement academy.

The situation: In an effort to piece together some small celebration I would like to have a small getaway the weekend after our wedding. Due to the short time, we will have to stay within a few hours driving distance of Seattle. We prefer a quite escape with natural charm, but I am worried that mid-October might not work well for a mountain/ocean front retreat. Is there anyone familiar with the area that might have some guidance? It is truly appreciated! Thank you soooo much!

Re: Ideas for a Weekend Honeymoon in WA

• Options
    i do not know your area at all, but i would look into B&Bs that are nearby.  i would go to www.kayak.com.  type in the area you would like to go to and then when all the choices show up on your screen, on the left side of your screen, where it says NAME CONTAINS, type bed and breakfast.  many places may not have websites, but you will get phone numbers.  

congratulations and good luck!
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    I've heard the San Juan Islands out there are amazing. Is that close enough?
  • Options
    I'm from WA, and I second the idea of the San Juan Islands.  I haven't been yet, but they are supposed to be amazing!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    i never got to go out there, but i heard Whidbey Island is pretty nice.  the ferry out there is through Mukilteo, which is only about 45 min N of Seattle.

Although, I would also suggest Vancouver, BC.  It's really a beautiful city and definitely doable for a weekend trip.  You just have to have your passport.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    why only to drive? you can take a short flight down to S Cali and not have weather issues.

• Options
    you can also try posting on the local seattle board.

• Options
    I'm from WA.  There are some great hotel/spas in the area.  Salish Lodge at Snoqualmie Falls, Semiahmoo in Blaine, AlderBrook on the pennisula.  Cannon Beach in Oregon is nice also and not too far of a drive.
  • Options
    I guess I don't know about the weather in October, but I loved visiting Mt. Ranier (paradise Lodge is beautiful!), Victoria, and the Olympic National Forrest. 

I spent an evening in Coer D'Alene, ID and it was quite pretty too. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was just (last week!) out in the Seattle area for a wedding, and before hand, my friends and rented a house on Harstine Island. It was a couple hours drive from the city, and it was GORGEOUS. Absolutely idyllic.  Highly recommend.
    White Knot
  • Options
    breandmilesbreandmiles member
    First Comment
    edited September 2010
    I have lived here all my life and there are some fantastic places to go in the state. The San Juans are beautiful. They have the scenery and quiet, and probably a lot of nice B&Bs to choose from. Plus, the ferry ride (although it is pricey - $50 for a car during peak season) is the prettiest route in the state. The San juans are much nicer than Whidbey Island, I wouldn't suggest going there. East of the mountains can be nice too I just wouldn't go too far east. Leavenworth, although slightly tacky, is really fun for a weekend. It is a bavarian themed village just east of Stevens pas on HWY 2. You could pretend you are in europe:) Another fun place is Winthrop or the North Cascades. HWY 20 which goes east out of the Mount Vernon area is the mos beautiful drive around. Jagged peaks and glacier fed lakes, plenty of open space to roam around in. Winthrop is a western themed town on HWY 20, there are  a lot of rustic type cabin rentals in that area. Bellingham is also nice, they have two spa-ish hotels (bellwether, chrysallis) that are pretty fancy. It has an awsome farmer's market on saturdays and the downtown area is fun. I would also recommend Port Townsend, or anywhere on the penninsula/Pacifc coast. Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    I live in Spokane and I am DYING to go to Stehekin on Lake Chelan. You can only get there by ferry or float plane. No cell servcie. Amazing scenery. Sounds like heaven to me.

Walla Walla and Yakima are also good if you like wine tasting.

San Juans could be amazing too. I've been to Whidbey and don't remember anything spectacular about it.

I love Port Townsend. Go see Fort Ward. Beautiful little seaside community.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards