New Hampshire
Options

Photographer Question

Hi everyone -

I'm starting to look for a photographer. We'll be married in western NH (near Keene) and my biggest concern is about who will have the rights to the photos after the wedding and for how long. My cousin could not independently get any of her wedding photos until a year after the wedding (other than those she directly ordered from the photographer) and I want to avoid a similar situation if possible.

Any suggestions on photographers who might meet that?

~Kara

PS: Also, I'd like to have a videographer too so if you know anyone who does that too that'd be a bonus!

Re: Photographer Question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    A lot of photographers will now give you a disk with all printing rights, but not actually provide you with prints.  I'm sure you'd be able to find this info on any of their websites.

I don't have any suggestions for photographers for you though. I can tell you who to stay away from...

Good luck!  And definitely go with a videographer, I wish I had!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    crystal5724crystal5724 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have found that bigger photography companies and agencies do this. Just ask when interviewing photographers. I would also ask what the resolution size is. If you have rights to your pictures and they give you a CD, make sure you have the right resolution size to enlarge a picture. 

I had Nancy Stronach (www.nancystronach.com) do my engagement photos and I received full resolution picutres on a CD, full rights and all. Not to mention she did such a great job =)

I am on the hunt for a videographer, if I hear or know of a good one I'll let you know!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hired Portrait New England. They include a disk of all the pictures in all of their packages- with reprint rights so you can print your pictures off wherever you want. They are also very reasonably priced and they don't charge for travel anywhere in New England. They work with a videographer too: Waves Media.
    Both companies have great reviews everywhere I have found and were both incredibly nice when I met each of them.
    What is your photography and videography budget?
  • Options
    Kfudge0714Kfudge0714 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_photographer-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:101Discussion:83d1d090-650b-432c-8359-53b6b9c80d42Post:62f5fc31-eb1b-426c-b2fc-969e2d0a0710">Re: Photographer Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]A lot of photographers will now give you a disk with all printing rights, but not actually provide you with prints.  Posted by MrsKathyC[/QUOTE]

this exactly. My photographer is self employed and I will be getting disks with printing rights for both my engagement pictures and wedding pictures. She will not be providing us with prints.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We went with Details by DiFranco...we got the rights to all of our pics...both engagement and wedding.  A 30 page album, 2 parent albums and some other things too...

They can be a bit flaky on the customer service end, but they were awesome the day of the wedding and our pics and album proofs are amazing.  Love them!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we used john loconte and got full rights, cannot recommend him enough! www.johnlophoto.com

for video we used dave from av waves also amazing
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used Rebecca Curtis for my videography.  You should definitely check her out!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to say that I think that this varies by company/photographer.  We used  A Photographic Memory (they were amazing!).  I would highly, highly recommend them.  Dave was incredibly professional, I am very happy with my photos, and the timeframes were very reasonable.

We received our DVDs, along with a letter detailing that we own the rights to the photos, the same week that the photos were posted online on a site where people can purchase copies. This was about 7 weeks after my wedding.  

I do know that some companies do not give you the DVDs until after they have been hosted online and taken down after a few months.  This is something that I would definitely ask when booking a photographer, and have their policy regarding timelines written into the contract so it's in writing, if possible.  I would just suggest asking specific questions to be sure that you are in agreeance with their policies. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    swimlibswimlib member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Creative Boro Visions. The contract states that the rights to the images are ours afterwards and we get all the images on a disc or USB drive- or both if we supply her with the USB drive.

BTW she's based out of Peterborough so not too far from you and is great to work with so far!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Gary599Gary599 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Photographers who provide a cd or in some cases a DVD may also provide what is known as print rights.

No photographer would give you the copyright. If they were to give you their copyright that would not allow them to use, sell or display the photographs because once they give away copyright they would not be the owners of said photographs.

When you ask your photographer, the question you should ask is.

Do you provide me with a cd or dvd of hi-res files so I can make or order my own prints along with a print release.

• Options
    mariegramariegra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used William T. Moore Photography, (Bedford), for a wedding in Jaffrey, (not far from Keene).  He was amazing and we're still going through our proofs, (over 2 thousand of them).

We get a CD with all rights, but no prints.  http://www.williammoorephoto.com/#
    September 2011 Board-April Siggy Challenge-Honeymoon Pics
    imageimage
    Planning Bio-updated August 16, 2011 NH Knotties Site
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Every single photographer I met with (southern NH, nothern MA, Boston)  offered printing rights with their standard photography package. Most will mention it right away when you first start talking to them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Amandaperkinsphotography.com might be a good match for you. She gives you the photo rights I believe and she is not too far from Keene I think.

Rebecca Curtis for video is my recommendation, www.curtisweddings.com
  • Options
    singing_lynsinging_lyn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Hilary Colleen Photography. She's out of Nashua, but for our engagement shoot she got us the pictures in 3 days online with full rights to download and print as we want, they're also high resolution. She's charging us $1700 for the engagement session, 6 hours on the day of, a wedding album, and a parents album. Also includes her travel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Untitled
    image 218 Invited image 130 Are ready to party!! image 79 Are missing out. :(image 10 Are making me wait. :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Another vote for Rebecca Curtis - she's wonderful!

And we looked into Amanda Perkins (she wasn't available for our day) and one of my friend's sister's used her.  She does great work!

We're going with Brett Alison - we've done the engagement shoot and rec'd the CD and rights to print right away.  She's great to work with and does a fabulous job!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We used a photographic Memory, apmnh.com And they were AMAZING!! Dave and katie are the most funloving people and so great to work with and pictures are absolutely GORGEOUS! U will get a disc with all rights pretty quickyl after the wedding i must add. Dave is on facebook as well so check him out: Dave Soucy APM. I promise you wouldnt regret them!

....Happy ever after.... http://romanowedding.weebly.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We went with Ron Kolias who is amazing!!! We love him and our personalities click so well, which is very important with whomever you choose.

You want the rights the photos, and make sure it's EDITED on a high Res DVD...NOT CD(it's low res on a cd and doesn't look right blown up bigger than a 5x7).

Make sure you look at an ENTIRE album of one wedding. Anyone can show you random good pictures from multiple weddings, but it may have been the only good shot from the whole day.

Just a couple of tips my brother (he's also a photographer, but he's a groomsmen) gave me to make sure I was choosing someone good.

Videography we are going with Precious Moments. I'm letting people know I have coupons for them if you need them, let me know. I cannot say enough good things about them!
    Good luck!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards