Getting in Shape

Losing 8-10 lbs after purchasing a wedding dress

Hello! I'm going to a wedding dress sample sale next weekend and am hoping to leave with a dress (my dress budget is really small and the sample sale looks like my best bet for a reasonably priced dress). I'm still wanting to lose 8-10 lbs before my wedding on June 28, 2013. That should be plenty of time to lose the weight, but I'm worried about sizing. I went into a consignment shop yesterday to try on a dress to get an idea for my size. I picked up a size 10 since I usually wear a size 6/8 in jeans (depending on the store, probably the 8 more often than not) but the 10 was small--I couldn't get it zipped up all the way. At this point, I would be a 12 but if I can even lose 5-6 lbs, I bet I could fit into the 10. I was thinking getting a dress with a lace up back would be my best bet since I'm trying to lose weight. What do you think? If I got a size 10 with a lace up back, would that work whether I lost the weight or not?

PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: Losing 8-10 lbs after purchasing a wedding dress

• Wedding dresses are not sized the way that standard clothing is - most run 2 sizes smaller, some even more. It's not great for the self-confidence!

Buy something that fits you right now, and even if you lose weight, you will still have a dress. Buying something on the hopes of losing can lead to heartache. trust me, I worked in the bridal industry for years.

That said, a laced-back dress will give you more flexibility. You have lots of time to meet your goal, but I'd still suggest buying to fit you now. It's much easier (and less expensive) to take a dress in than to let it out when the time comes.

Good luck at the sale!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would strongly recommend buying it to fit you now. 8-10 lbs is a great goal to lose, but it will likely not bring you down a size. My goal is to lose at least 20 lbs by my wedding at the end of May. When I bought the dress, the consultant recommended I still buy in my current size so I don't have added stress to lose the weight. Imagine if I couldn't lose the weight AND my wedding dress didn't fit. I would be a stressed out bride! Don't worry about the size, just how it fits :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Hopefully you're still checking this thread.

I'm in the same boat, normally an 8 and I could fit some designers in a 10 but ended up going with an enzoani  size 12.

I plan on losing 10 to 15 in the next couple months, and I can easily say my dress will still fit! Yes, after that I could probably fit in a 10, but let me tell you, these dresses are NOT that comfortable. If you plan on moving around a little all day (and eating) you'll want the extra room. Plus, if it comes down to it I can just tighten the dress a little more (not a lace up but has a corset inside).

*disclaimers: 1)my dress was new and not a sample sale so not as worn out 2) I'm tall so 15 lbs isn't a huge difference on me.
  • Do not buy a smaller size! You can always alter the dress! Better to have room to bring it in then stuck with a dress that doesn't fit!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_losing-8-10-lbs-after-purchasing-a-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:ea19ec33-ef20-447c-a3ad-0f7216365462Post:be73961a-2d5b-46d6-b694-a5beb5b74392">Re: Losing 8-10 lbs after purchasing a wedding dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wedding dresses are not sized the way that standard clothing is - most run 2 sizes smaller, some even more. It's not great for the self-confidence! Buy something that fits you right now, and even if you lose weight, you will still have a dress. Buying something on the hopes of losing can lead to heartache. trust me, I worked in the bridal industry for years. That said, a laced-back dress will give you more flexibility. You have lots of time to meet your goal, but I'd still suggest buying to fit you now. It's much easier (and less expensive) to take a dress in than to let it out when the time comes. Good luck at the sale!
    Posted by jennylee813[/QUOTE]

I think 5lbs should be ok.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards