Ohio-Columbus

Older Reception Location

Hi local girls, I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has any ideas for an older reception location.  My wedding is going to be simple and I'm going for a 1940s inspired feel to it all so I'm looking for somewhere that can seat at least 120 but still fit into my theme in a general sense.  I was born in the area but moved away for eleven years so I don't know the area as well as I'd like just yet.  Any and all suggestions would be wonderful!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Older Reception Location

• osumegsosumegs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at The Vault or Station 67. Not really sure what their capacity is, but they are sorta antique feeling.
  • fallbride'10fallbride'10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would also suggest the vault. My sister got married there and I believe it seats up to 300 people. It used to be a bank so it has the old bank vault still in it and it looks really cool
    November 12, 2010 imageMy Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In addition to pp, I would also suggest COSI's Progress exhibit, the Ohio Village at the Ohio Historical Center, Jeffrey Mansion, the Kelton House, Taylor Mansion, the Lincoln Theater ballroom, the Southern Theater,  and the OSU Faculty Club.
  • edited December 2011
    Def check out Taylor Mansion or Bryn du Mansion (its in Granville). Both are old mansions that have been renovated, but the receptions are outside under tents. The house is used for cocktail hour and bathrooms. You can go inside during the reception too if you want. I've been to weddings at both and they are beautiful. Taylor Mansion has some really pretty gardens around it.

I am not a huge fan of the Vault (sorry to anyone that is or has had their reception there). I went to a wedding there 2 years ago and a few things really bothered me.
    1. There is not a kitchen on-site. For obvious reasons...it used to be a bank! I think the caterers had a difficult time keeping the food warm and since it was a buffett I didn't get (cold) dinner until after 9:30.
    2. Bathrooms...major issue. Men only have one stall! My date was not happy about this. At one point there was a line 15 deep to use it. He said it ended up being like a dirty bar bathroom. Women have one stall downstairs and then upstairs there are 4 or 5 more in a larger bathroom. Not sure if that bathroom was maybe supposed to be uni-sex, but it def. did not turn out to be that way.

I think you might like this blog that I love...might give you some fun ideas. The weddings they feature are usually the vintage/eco feeling.
    http://greenweddingshoes.com/
  • jnkreagerjnkreager member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would also check out the Grand Valley Dale Ballroom.  Not much to look at from the outside, but georgous inside!

From their website: Valley Dale is significant as one of the nationally renowned Ballrooms of the "Big Band" musical era of the 1930's and 1940's. Many famous Big Bands and entertainers including Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby have appeared at Valley Dale. During the early 1940's CBS and NBC had simultaneous coast-to-coast radio broadcasts from the Valley Dale.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    If going COSI route, very cool for the progress (yesteryear exhbit)  would recommend going with their approved list caterer, not Sodexo (in house).  Also would be spread out and probably not hold very many.  Darby House in west Columbus is great!
  • edited December 2011

My FI and I looked at both Valley Dale and The Vault, as we are having a 1920's-30's themed wedding. Both VERY beautiful and fitting. We are visiting several more venues in our search for the perfect one, but if we had to choose right now, it would be Valley Dale. I just felt like that was the most fitting for our theme and that is very important to us. I appreciated the advice about The Vault as far as the bathrooms......we were sort of wondering about that! Our coordinator that we hired has us scheduled to visit Confluence Park and the Athenaeum this weekend. Not sure of any details as far as those places go, so we'll see!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards