Michigan-Northern

Non-Religious Wedding Ceremony

My fiance and I are not religious. Pretty much the farthest thing from it. Though we have no problem with it-- it's just not for us. We need someone to marry us in Charlevoix, MI. My step dad is a pastor and he said he would do it and "promises not be religious" but honestly, he can't be trusted and would do it just to piss me off. haha. We aren't the closest of friends. Since we arent' religious our ceremony won't be super long and we can only find officiants that charge $400-500 and thats crazy for maybe 30 minutes (plus they want to charge us for the rehersal too)....

can anyone help?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Non-Religious Wedding Ceremony

• edited December 2011
    We're having the same issue. We're thinking maybe a judge or justice of the peace. We have a family friend that knows a few judges so we're looking into that. Hoping to find someone with a little personality, though! We're looking to get married in Harbor Springs, though, so I'm not sure if Emmet and Charlevoix counties can have judges from different counties doing the ceremony - need to look that up -- but I'm happy to share some names when we get them.

Have you thought about getting a friend of yours ordained? There's a way to do it legally in Michigan. We're looking into doing that too. (Then it'd be free!!)
  • edited December 2011
    Ohhh... Harbor Springs is soooo pretty, that church in the middle of the town is such a gem! Are you getting married there?

What about a close family friend performing the ceremony? I know its wierd to say that someone is ordained but it works!! 

Something, I thought would be kinda sweet would be the father of the bride doing it.. it would be the ultimate giving away of the bride.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh yes please send me names when you get them!! :)

We thought about asking a friend to do it, but I'm not sure who. haha. I thought about asking one of my bridesmaid's to do it (and change her role) because she'd be the only good one to do it....I'm not sure though. That would be the best, not just free but something super personal. I'll keep looking and keep an eye out for you too. Email me when you get some names and vise versa?

slhayes1@gmail.com {ps my name is Sarah :) }
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We have the same issue and we are having one of my fiance's cousins do it! He is really outgoing and likes to "put on a show" so we thinkg he will be good at it.  And he's willing and free so those are pluses too! 

We haven't done it yet, but we plan on getting him ordained through the Universal Life Church.  It's an online "church" that it seems a lot of people get ordained through....basically to perform non-religious weddings. There is actually a video clip of Conan O'Brien getting ordained with ULC and it took about 30 seconds.

I'll let you know how it goes when we get him ordained. :)
  • I can probably help you out. 

I do budget weddings if the couple wants to travel to Harbor Beach or within 30 miles of Harbor Beach.  My budget weddings are $50.00.

If you prefer, I can come to you but the price is $100 plus 50 cents a mile for anything that I travel over 30 miles.  I use mapquest to calculate this.

You can write your own ceremony and I will help you with that or you can choose any one of my pre-written ceremonies and edit it by adding or subtracting anything you like.  However, in order to have a legal ceremony, your ceremony must include the statement of intent which is the "Do you take.." and "I do" part.

I am a minister ordained by Universal Life Church in Modesto, California.  I do both religious and non-religious ceremonies.  It is YOUR wedding and it should be YOUR way.

If this is something that interests you, please call me (Tanya) at 989-975-0805.  You can also visit my website to see the pre-written ceremonies and sample vows.  http://www.customizedwedding.yolasite.com

I do budget weddings if the couple wants to travel to Harbor Beach or within 30 miles of Harbor Beach.  My budget weddings are $50.00.

If you prefer, I can come to you but the price is $100 plus 50 cents a mile for anything that I travel over 30 miles.  I use mapquest to calculate this.

You can write your own ceremony and I will help you with that or you can choose any one of my pre-written ceremonies and edit it by adding or subtracting anything you like.  However, in order to have a legal ceremony, your ceremony must include the statement of intent which is the "Do you take.." and "I do" part.

I am a minister ordained by Universal Life Church in Modesto, California.  I do both religious and non-religious ceremonies.  It is YOUR wedding and it should be YOUR way.

If this is something that interests you, please call me (Tanya) at 989-975-0805.  You can also visit my website to see the pre-written ceremonies and sample vows.  http://www.customizedwedding.yolasite.com

• Sorry didn't mean to send the same message three times.  Computer was running slow and I clicked "add post" twice more.
  • We're having a friend be our officiant.  I think he's ordained through ULC, and he's done two other weddings, including that of another mutual friend.  He said that his mom (who also does weddings) has a workbook that's kind of like a 'choose your own adventure' book to putting together a ceremony.  Sounds good to me, since we're not religious either, and I'm not sure how to create something that comes across as meaningful, but not too brief, and avoids cliche.  

Alternately, I was at a wedding in Georgia this fall where the parents performed the ceremony.  By GA law, the officiant doesn't have to perform the ceremony, they just need to be in attendence.  If the same is true in MI, you could have anyone do the ceremony as long as one of the guests is a judge/officiant/pastor/etc.  
  • hi ladies, i might be a little bit late but i had the same problem. I found Glad Remely and her husband Ed (she is a minister and he is a pastor.. or it might be the other way around lol sorry) they are out of Cheboygan but will travel! Glad did an AMAZING job for our wedding! they charge 300.00 for rehersal and the actually ceremony, the cheapest I found when I was looking. I fully recommend them :) Hope this helps! I do have her e-mail if any of you are interested.
  • We're using the Remaly's as well, and LOVE them so far. Nothing religious in the ceremony if you don't want it. They'll do whatever you like.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards