Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Fondant Cupcake Toppers

We are going to be having cupcakes at our wedding, and the venue is providing them instead of a cake.  I have found cupcake liners to match our color scheme, and am looking for a simple way to class them up a bit, as the venue will just be doing a swirl of white frosting on top.  I am looking for a way to make fondant cupcake toppers that are stamped with a design (TBD) similar to this on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/63044384/12-fondant-monogrammed-cupcake-toppers?ref=sr_gallery_22&ga_search_query=cupcake+fondant+toppers+wedding&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes%5B0%5D=tags&includes%5B1%5D=title&filter%5B0%5D=handmade

Does anyone have experience with making these themselves? How did you do it?  can you freeze fondant for a few months (after they're made?)

Thanks!

Re: Fondant Cupcake Toppers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea of dressing up your cupcakes, but I would look for something other than fondant. It's not very tasty and most people just peel it off and throw it away. I would look into some candy pieces or even personalized M&Ms to put on top. That way it would really be an edible decoration.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love them. They're very elegant.
  • Options
    Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they are very pretty!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They're nice. I agree with waltzing insofar as I think people will peel them off and throw them out, but the design is nice. You could do something similar using chocolate instead of fondant.
  • Options
    topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They're pretty, but I wouldn't eat it b/c I don't like fondant. If it was chocolate, then I'd eat it.

It almost looks like a small cookie on top...could you try something like that?

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They kind of look like oreos to me, maybe you could do something with them. But I though you couldn't freeze fondant. I would test a sample (and google heavily). Or if you're going to do something that's essentially inedible, do yourself a favor and make paper cupcake flags or something. Fondant is a royal pain to work with (in my extensive experience with one cake).
  • Options
    pretzelgrrlpretzelgrrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that they look great...I think either fondant or the letter on white chocolate.  They have molds fo the chocolate.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Not all fondant is created equal.  You could ask what brand she uses and order sample tasting from the company to see if you like the taste.

Personally, I hate Wilton and Satin Ice brands but Fondarific tastes great to me.

• Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do a chocolate mold for that since I hate fondant.  Or, how about marzipan instead (assuming no nut allergies)?  It tastes better than fondant and works in a similar way.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to agree with the others on this board... there's a more "edible" way to achieve that kind of look on cupcakes. Many chocolatiers would be happy to help you create a chocolate disk or something to that effect that could sit on top of an iced cupcake. I think that white buttercream, topped with a dark chocolate disk (or even a dark chocolate with a smaller white chocolate one on top), then piped with your monogram would be very elegant. Then you won't have to go around the reception tables picking up the tossed fondant. 

Many chocolatiers even buy their raw chocolate (the chocolate they later melt to form into molds) in the shape of thin disks so it might be less expensive to buy those outright and get creative. See here: http://x0c.xanga.com/67df640422237249515465/z197968986.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards