Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Help! I hate my e-pics!

I hate my engagement pictures.  It was  REALLY, unusually humid day that we had them taken so needless to say my hair looks gross. But that's not the worst of it.  You can't see one or BOTH of my fiance's eyes in most pictures. There is shading due to bad lighting.   My photographer is pretty much telling me that's the way it is and it's the modern way to do it without flash.  HELLO!   Why wouldn't we expect to see his eyes?  Really?  I am so mad. I really want to cancel but my contract says once payments are made in full there are no refunds. My wedding is 2 months away and I have already paid in full. I don't know what to do. I want to cry!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Help! I hate my e-pics!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh no, I am so sorry.  Is there anyway you can sit down with your photographer and talk to him about your vision and style and explain to him that while you value his creativity and artistic expression that you arent happy bc you were expecting something else?  Maybe this will help him see what you are wanting so it doesnt go the same way on your wedding day... I would also ask him if he would be willing to do another engagement shoot, just tell him you arent happy.
    Another option would be to find another upcoming photographer ( maybe a student, they are often willing to listen to what you want and need help building their portfolio thus they are much cheaper) and hire them as a second shooter??  Maybe they could also do some engagements ( I mean you could even wear the same outfits etc..)
    I am sorry I know this is so frustrating. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I see a couple options.

1) You can sit down and calmly talk with your photographer. Explain what your expectations/hopes are for your wedding photos and what specifically you didn't care for about the e-pics. Ask him if he feels he will be able to shoot your wedding pics the way you would like.
    2) If not, or if you're just done with him, then you need to decide if it's worth losing the $$$ to get the pictures you want and hire a different photographer.

Also, if he has the option of bringing a second shooter to the wedding, I might add that, so your chances are better you get pictures you like if you do plan to stay with him.

ETA: You could also ask if there is any chance he or an assistant could re-shoot some of the e-pics since you were unhappy with them. Many vendors would rather do this to make you happy than be possible faced with bad reviews you give them online or elsewhere.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    atomicphotoatomicphoto member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_hate-e-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:5cfb15a0-77a8-4660-ba38-0bd566aa40bePost:827d6a12-e660-42e6-9fb0-3bedca5f8831">Help! I hate my e-pics!</a>:
    [QUOTE] My photographer is pretty much telling me that's the way it is and it's the modern way to do it without flash.  [/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>hahaha. Sorry but that is such BS on his part. I am a pro photog and will strait up tell you that this is not true. All this means is that he has no clue how to properly use flash and therefore does not. Is your wedding indoors or outdoors? If it is indoors i would suggest that you immediately discuss with them what sort of flash and/or lighting system they will be using on your wedding day. If they say none, run for the hills. </div><div>
    </div><div>To me it just sounds like your photographer is making excuses for their inexperience. Im curious to see their website to see if this sort of image you describe is consistent in their portfolio, or if there is a chance things might be fine at your wedding. If you dont mind, would you PM me a link to their site?

</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely ask for a reshoot. He is giving you BS telling you "without flash is the modern way to do things". It sounds like you guys were in the sun and had raccoon eyes because of it and instead of fixing this with flash or moving you to a shaded spot with even light he kept on shooting. This really would worry me if I was you for the wedding day. If he's not familiar with or capable of using flash during the wedding you might be in big trouble depending on your venue(s).

I wouldn't suggest what a PP said about finding a second shooter - most photographers don't allow that in their contract and it can really mess with things the day of the wedding if your photographer isn't happy about that.

What does your contract specifically say about backing out? What I would do is ask for a re-shoot, and if the quality comes out the same you've GOT to cancel no matter what money you're losing because a) you dont want to leave your wedding memories up to someone who sounds to me like he isn't a pro and b) you're already going to be unhappy and uncomfortable around him because you're worried about his photos and that's going to show on your face and effect the kind of photos you get from your day.
  • Options
    TeepTeep member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Maybe the lighting at your venue will be better? I'm sorry this is happening to you. I say if you can afford it, look for another photographer. If not, talk to him about it. Hope for the best. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Elfay is right--your photographer is handing you a load of BS.  A good photographer can make the best of a situation through flashes and reflectors, and with engagement photos, you have the luxury of going at a nice time of day and taking your time.  There is no excuse for that.  Ask for a reshoot.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi- My name is Meg Miller and I am a wedding photographer in NYC. www.weddings.megmillerphotography. I have a profile on the knot as a vendor if you want to check it out. I would say there are definitely ways around this- I would be happy to look at the contract you signed. Also, I could edit your images if you would want to know some pricing.. in hopes of "salvaging" them. 

Thanks!
    Meg
  • Options
    nikkibelnikkibel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you all!

My photographer agreed to a full refund.  In respect of that I won't blast them here.  But now the hunt is on for a new one :)

I appreciate the help!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You are on 9/10/11, yikes. Hurry and get someone, since that day is really really popular.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't blame you for being upset. I think asking for a reshoot is totally valid! Good luck and I hope it works out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards